wish you were here, beginner

Got a question on a lesson? Don't quite understand what or how or why? Just want some company as you learn? Come join the gang in the lesson forum
nostra

yo

Post by nostra » July 13th, 2005, 11:11 am

ok thx man ill give that a go.
but my question is,
what u gave here:
http://www.guitarnoise.com/images/articles/409/2.gif

whice part of this song is it?the beginning of the solo or what?i need to know if it even sounds like it
thx so much!
EDIT:
By the way man,do u have any instant messaging software?maybe u can explain it to me through there without having to wait for every reply
if u dont feel like giving it to me thats ok i understand jUst let me know
thx any way
SECOND EDIT:
i tried this
http://www.guitarnoise.com/images/articles/409/2.gif
all over again
still sounds very very bad,not even recognisable.
just b-a-d.

Musenfreund
Guitari Lama

Post by Musenfreund » July 13th, 2005, 11:39 am

It sounds like you'd like to see a tab for the whole song, right? The powertab for this song is pretty good (there are two versions posted either of which would probably help out).

Powertabs are generally pretty accurate, but you have to download the free software that lets you play it. You can get the software here:

Powertab Net. On that site you'll find directions for downloading the free powertab editor.

Then go to The Powertab Archive and use the search function to find the "Wish You Were Here" tabs.

One of the great things about Powertab is that you can also play a midi version of the tab on your computer. That helps a lot when you're trying to figure out how to play a song.

I hope that helps!
Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

nostra

hey

Post by nostra » July 13th, 2005, 12:12 pm

i had that one few hours ago but now that u told me that will real help me i used it and yea there is some progress i was able to do the start thingy and it did sounds right
thx allot man 4 taking the time to explain things to me and help me out
thx

nostra

one thing i dont understand is:

Post by nostra » July 13th, 2005, 12:32 pm

i dont understand the start of the song
im doing fine until Bar no.3,i can play it too,but its strange,i need to play the 1st bass string and then play the 4th and 5th string all together[with the bass]should i just play the bass string and move rightaway to the 4th and the 5th or there is another method?
thx in advance and i hope u underst00d me.
thx

Musenfreund
Guitari Lama

Post by Musenfreund » July 14th, 2005, 5:12 am

Play stacked notes together. That's right. Are you having trouble with hammer-ons? (I don't have the tab right in front of me, but I wonder if that's part of what's confusing you). Take a look at this page for some basic instruction on how to play a hammer-on:

Cyber fret's Hammer-on and Pull-off page.

That might help. Sorry I'm not more precise here. It's been a while since I've played the song so my advice is admittedly perhaps a bit too general.
-- John Lennon

nostra

yo

Post by nostra » July 14th, 2005, 6:30 am

ok thx man ill give that a go
:D

nostra

yo

Post by nostra » July 14th, 2005, 11:31 am

another question[sorry hehe]
doesnt it sounds kinda "stupid" to repeat this 5-6 times?:
3 3 3 3 3 3 3
3 3 3 3 3 3 3
0 0 0 0 0 0 0
on the 5th bar,im just doing it 7 times and it sounds kinda stupid,i heard the song and yea its exctacly like the song but when im doing it,it feels like im just doing it cuz the tab telling me to do that,wont 3 be enough?i hope u understand what i mean.
EDIT:
ok u know what i have re-heard it,and its sounds like they r doing it fast so i think i got it all worng,am i right?
how can i play it that fast?by doing down and up?[with a pick]
thx

Musenfreund
Guitari Lama

Post by Musenfreund » July 14th, 2005, 12:23 pm

Yes, up and down can make it easier to strum quickly.

And remember many guitar parts are extremely repetitive, but interesting repetition is the heart of rock n roll. The guitar's typically part of the instrumentation of a song -- other instruments and vocals combine for the total sound.

If you can, play along with the CD. It makes playing much more fun and helps you develop a better sense of time.

By the way, how long have you been playing?
-- John Lennon

nostra

yoooo

Post by nostra » July 15th, 2005, 4:32 am

ok thx 4 ur reply.
i dunno when i try playing it with the song,the song just keep ruining my playing for some reas0n.and i need to play this song some more 'till ill try playing it with the cd.
and im just a beginner,been playing for almost a month now,and im only studying from the net cuz its fun[and harder i think..]
that's the reason why im asking so many questions
u got any tips?
Musenfreund wrote:Yes, up and down can make it easier to strum quickly.

And remember many guitar parts are extremely repetitive, but interesting repetition is the heart of rock n roll. The guitar's typically part of the instrumentation of a song -- other instruments and vocals combine for the total sound.

If you can, play along with the CD. It makes playing much more fun and helps you develop a better sense of time.

By the way, how long have you been playing?

Musenfreund
Guitari Lama

Post by Musenfreund » July 15th, 2005, 4:42 am

Any tips? Play with the CD as much as you can -- that helps with timing and phrasing. Be patient with yourself and give a song time to take shape. It may take several days to get a song down. Someone on the site (Fingerbanger, I believe?) used to recommend keeping a practice journal so that you could keep track of your progress. It's a good idea, I think.

And learning from the net is a great idea, but having a teacher as well is also fantastic. You'll find you'll always be teaching yourself, but having a good teacher is like having a good coach. It's something to consider. But you need to find a teacher with whom you can establish a good rapport and who understands your taste in music and your goals.

Most of all, have fun!
-- John Lennon

nostra

yo

Post by nostra » July 15th, 2005, 1:15 pm

ok man,but tell u the truth,i think im fine where i am,learning how to play some songs i like,i dont realy want to be a big guitar player,just so ill know how to play some tunes and song i know,its very hard task too but i dunno im currently very happy with learning by the net so ill think im goona keep on doing that until i will get to a place that i dont see no more progress being done.
another thing that maybe u can help me with...:
in the 'pink floyd-with u were here' song,there is the start of the song and the solo coming like 45 seconds after the start of the song,i cant find that solo in the tabs that u gave me from the "Power Tab Editor" program,where is it located?thx.[or is it just the bass player doing that?but im sure there is guitar tabs too.thx]
Musenfreund wrote:Any tips? Play with the CD as much as you can -- that helps with timing and phrasing. Be patient with yourself and give a song time to take shape. It may take several days to get a song down. Someone on the site (Fingerbanger, I believe?) used to recommend keeping a practice journal so that you could keep track of your progress. It's a good idea, I think.

And learning from the net is a great idea, but having a teacher as well is also fantastic. You'll find you'll always be teaching yourself, but having a good teacher is like having a good coach. It's something to consider. But you need to find a teacher with whom you can establish a good rapport and who understands your taste in music and your goals.

Most of all, have fun!