It Came Upon A Midnight Clear

Got a question on a lesson? Don't quite understand what or how or why? Just want some company as you learn? Come join the gang in the lesson forum
geoo
Guitarnoise Addict

It Came Upon A Midnight Clear

Post by geoo » December 26th, 2005, 8:20 pm

Not sure why, but I cant get the MP3 to work on this one. Its a dead link.

Geoo
“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

slejhamer
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by slejhamer » December 27th, 2005, 4:02 am

Yep, bad link.
"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

dsparling

Post by dsparling » December 27th, 2005, 6:50 am

Looks like a typo. I checked an mp3 link in another lesson and made an educated guess at what this one should be...

Try this:

http://www.guitarnoise.us/onstage/audio ... tClear.mp3

Enjoy!

slejhamer
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by slejhamer » December 27th, 2005, 6:59 am

That works; thanks Doug.

Sounds great, of course. Do you double-track? Multi-mic? Your recordings always have such nice "openness" to them.
"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

geoo
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by geoo » December 27th, 2005, 7:10 am

slejhamer wrote:That works; thanks Doug.

Sounds great, of course. Do you double-track? Multi-mic? Your recordings always have such nice "openness" to them.
I was going to say the same thing. Dougs recordings always seems so full and beautiful.. I chalk it up to being a beginning that I dont sound that way. Always hopeful that in time I will.

Thanks for fixing it Doug, your lessons are very important to me.

Geoo
“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

dsparling

Post by dsparling » December 27th, 2005, 7:20 am

slejhamer wrote:That works; thanks Doug.

Yep, I double track.

I get a lot of comments on my "sound" (usually positive) :)

I usually double track and use the built-in guitar pickup for both tracks, no mics at all.

The reasons being:

1) My acoustic isn't the greatest guitar in the world
2) I don't have a "real" studio at home - I record in the basement and have no soundproof booths (really bad when using condensors - I spent some time recording last summer and realized later that I got a real nice sound from my neighbor's lawnmower)
3) I have four kids (three age five and under) - it's noisy around here
4) I'm lazy :) It's so easy to just plug in (OK, I do record the piece twice, maybe that's more work than getting my stereo separation with mics or a processer).
5) I'm a big fan of Windham Hill founder William Ackerman - he double tracked his guitar a lot and I always like his sound.

I record dry and pan L/R 10 o'oclock and 2 o'clock then "master" and add reverb with SoundForge. I've toyed with the idea of panning wider and putting my reverb in the center, but haven't gotten around to it.

BTW - I recorded "Midnight Clear" a bit slower that I actually play it. I was hoping recording it slower would make it easier to hear the parts..

dsparling

Post by dsparling » December 27th, 2005, 7:32 am

geoo wrote: I was going to say the same thing. Dougs recordings always seems so full and beautiful.. I chalk it up to being a beginning that I dont sound that way. Always hopeful that in time I will.
Thanks Geoo. Just stick with it, and you'll get there sooner than you know. :)

BTW - I've been playing longer than I care to admit, and I'm probably a better "recording" guitarist than a live one. I've got a CD I've been working on since last May, and I ended up using a local studio, one reason being they have better guitars than I do...but I still record in my basement a lot.

Truth be told, I love recording and it is a great way to improve your playing.
geoo wrote: Thanks for fixing it Doug, your lessons are very important to me.
Geoo
Thanks - that made my day :)