Friend of the Devil

Got a question on a lesson? Don't quite understand what or how or why? Just want some company as you learn? Come join the gang in the lesson forum
GM

Friend of the Devil

Post by GM » June 2nd, 2006, 6:22 am

The latest newsletter mentions a recent lesson on Friend of the Devil. Was this in a magazine or just not posted yet? I can't find it anywhere but love the song. Help! :)

dhodge
Musically Insane

Post by dhodge » June 2nd, 2006, 10:49 am

It was supposed to go up online last week. While I was recording the MP3s I realized that I had made some major mistakes in the notation and TAB so I'm tweaking it as fast as I can. It should be up sometime the middle of next week. Sorry about the mix up.

Peace

GM

Post by GM » June 2nd, 2006, 1:24 pm

No worries at all. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing a lesson that was already out there somewhere. Take your time and I look forward to when it is posted.

Thanks!

doorboy

Post by doorboy » June 27th, 2006, 6:46 pm

I saw that mention in the newsletter of a "Friend of the Devil" lesson forthcoming, too. I've checked the site a few times, and still haven't seen it. I figured I could get an answer in the forum, and I did. Now, not to rush you, or be nit-picky, but David's response was from early June, and we're now at the end of June. I'm not pushing you, I'm just really looking forward to it. Still wondering where it is. Thanks!

dhodge
Musically Insane

Post by dhodge » June 27th, 2006, 7:20 pm

"Early June" has turned into "late June" (meaning hopefully by the end of the month) owing to many factors - serving Grand Jury duty, making up the private lessons I should have been teaching while on Grand Jury duty, taking care of all the housework and household chores that would have normally been done had I not been on Grand Jury duty, three last minute magazine assignments and, the past week and a half, spending a strangely inordinate amount of time doing moderating of posts. If all goes well I will have the music recorded and sent to Paul tomorrow (Wednesday as I write) and put the final touches on both the text and music as well. Depending on Paul's schedule, it should be up Thursday or Friday.

Oh, and I've got a newsletter to finish writing... :wink:

As always, my thanks for your patience.

Peace

doorboy

Post by doorboy » June 28th, 2006, 9:29 am

David, please accept all forgiveness for my "impatience". I'm just really excited to learn this one. Many thanks to you for your hard work. I JUST read your article in Acoustic Guitar on transposing, and cut it out to keep for future reference. VERY helpful - one of my informal teachers does this in his head, and I'm amazed every time. I will definitely be putting that article into practice.

art&lutherie
Guitarnoise Denizen

Post by art&lutherie » June 28th, 2006, 10:30 am

David, Are you writing for anyone besides Acoustic Guitar? I actually picked up a subscription because of your articles. If your writing for someone else I'd like to check them out. Thanks, Bob.
Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

dhodge
Musically Insane

Post by dhodge » June 28th, 2006, 11:12 am

Doorboy,

I don't think of it as impatience. I'm an incredibly impatient person and I understand that when something doesn't happen when someone says it will that it can be frustrating for people. There's someone out there who's been waiting since February for the next "Songs for Intermediates" lesson (Cindi Lauper's Time After Time) and hopefully she'll be happy when it finally appears in the next two weeks.

It's funny, but ever since I've been teaching full time I seem to have less spare time than ever before. But it's good, too, because I'm doing a lot of what I enjoy. On the flip side, though, is the fact that I love writing these lessons more than just about anything else and I don't get the time to spend on them as I'd like.

Thanks for the kudos, from both you and Bob (A&L), on the magazine articles. If you liked that transposing piece, then you should check out the one here at Guitar Noise on the Guitar Columns page called Turning Notes Into Stone, which delves into tranposing (and capo use) with more detail than I could get into in the Acoustic Guitar article.

Oh, and Bob, thanks for subscribing to AG because of me! But please do me a favor and let them know that's why you did it! :wink:

In upcoming issues of Acoustic Guitar, there will be articles on "Adding Harmony to Bass Lines," an "Introduction to Ear Training" and a piece on "Reading TAB Intelligently," which tries to get the tablature reader to take in TAB by phrases or measures at a time instead of giong from number to number.

Besides Acoustic Guitar magazine, I also write for their "sister publication," Play Guitar! magazine. Play Guitar! is geared to beginners and slightly more than beginning guitarists and I've been fortunate enough to have something in each issue for the past two years and it looks like I'll be having articles in each of the coming issues. The "Fall 2006" issue, coming out (I think) on July 15 will have a short piece (more like a sidebar) on various ways to practice your music skills when you don't have a guitar at hand. In the "Winter 2006" issue (probably out in mid-October), I will have two articles. The first on the Nashville Numbering system, which is (among other things) another way of looking at transposing songs. The second will actually be a look at what my private students and group classes usually get as a first lesson - a three-point introduction to the guitar using:

(1) single notes (a one finger per fret exercise to warm up the fingers)

(2) playing chords (an "express" version of Horse With No Name)

(3) playing partial chords (an intro to the blues shuffle)

This is straight beginner stuff and you can get most of it here, but the editors thought it would be a great introduction for someone who's just picked up the guitar.

And, really keeping my fingers crossed on this one, I'm hoping that one of three publishers is finally going to give me an okay on a guitar book. I think that I'm going to get some answers later this summer and I'll be sure to post in the newsletter what happens. Or what doesn't. :wink:

Again, my thanks for your patience. I wish I had better control of my life sometimes, but I'm finding more and more that most of it depends on the rest of the world (like getting my bass book manuscript back from the publishers on a Thursday with a note saying "Trim out 32 pages by Monday") but that's really just fine. Not having life be about me has made my life a lot happier.

Back to finishing that article... :wink:

Peace

Dylan6776

Post by Dylan6776 » June 29th, 2006, 11:58 am

Did someone mention an arrangement of Time After Time????

Where? Where? Where? Gimme gimme gimme!!!!!!
Never assume the other fellow has intelligence equal to yours. He may have more.

stellabloo

Re: Friend of the Devil

Post by stellabloo » October 14th, 2007, 8:31 am

It is with pride that I bring you this even tho it is not necessarily note-perfect ... I am working under pressure here ... my babies are about to wake up :lol:

Anyway for those of you that might notice such things my login name is stellabloo - no accident there! 8) To celebrate my upcoming One Year of Guitar I am learning Stella Blue (OMG I strum each chord with reverence! and very slowly LOL ) but in the meantime bring you my tweak on Friend of the Devil which was my 2nd GD song. Dark Star was my first seeing as it is classic 2 chords with lots of room for interpretation 8) .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG1jBhes4ko

I had a chance to jam on this with an old hippie buddy 8) last summer for which this is a great song... he played mandolin and it was SWEET ... although the standard version from Workingman's Dead is much faster there are slower versions ...

and this is one ... played here as a ballad :twisted: I add the ever-handy high B-A-G slide to break up the verse and use the also unbelievably versatile D chord riff... high G -F#-open E - D - open B - A - open G ... to transition back into the verse at the end of the chorus. Can't remember if that was in the lesson as I learned this song many months ago but it is damm useful.
What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

BluezOldy

Post by BluezOldy » October 14th, 2007, 1:18 pm

GM wrote:The latest newsletter ...
Does GN send out a newsletter>?

Musenfreund
Guitari Lama

Post by Musenfreund » October 14th, 2007, 2:29 pm

Yes it does. Sign up under "Guitar Noise by E-Mail" on the homepage.
Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Octal

Post by Octal » July 13th, 2009, 10:11 am

For "Example 2 - Verse with a Descending G Scale" what setup do you use for your fingers? I start with my pinky on the 4th string, 5th fret and my middle finger on the 6th string, 3rd fret and can play a single going by itself fine, but have difficult when I need to play it twice in a row. My problem is switching from the final g-chord back into the first chord (which I had just described above). Do I just need to work on my finger strength or is there some special way to place your fingers?

By the way, I play bass/down strum/up strum and not just bass/down strum. I think it sounds better.

Thanks for reading,
Octal.