Money - Bass Lesson

Got a question on a lesson? Don't quite understand what or how or why? Just want some company as you learn? Come join the gang in the lesson forum
slejhamer
Guitarnoise Addict

Money - Bass Lesson

Post by slejhamer » July 31st, 2006, 10:26 am

Great lesson David! The intro riff was one of the first things I played when I got my new bass. Very glad to have the whole thing explained so nicely.

Quick question: With the change in timing during the V-IV riff, from 7/4 to 8/4 & 6/4, can the bassist just keep playing as if it's in 7/4 time, with the last quarter note of the 8/4 measure moved to the 6/4 measure? It seems to me that when playing it with the swing eighths, it flows the same in 7/4 time as in the re-arranged time. Why does it change anyway?

Thanks,
"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

Musenfreund
Guitari Lama

Post by Musenfreund » July 31st, 2006, 11:48 am

I think the quick answer is no, but it's not really a problem. I love to play the bass on this one (or to play the bass riffs on guitar too!)

Play along with the recording and you'll see how the tempo changes with the time signature. It's a pretty natural shift and it'll come to you quickly.
Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

dhodge
Musically Insane

Post by dhodge » July 31st, 2006, 12:47 pm

The main reason for the change is for the "feel" of the changes in chords. You certainly can count it out as two measures of 7/4 and not miss a beat. I can tell you that, for me, it's easier to count it out in 8 and 6. That's mostly because, in my head, I 'hear" the two eighth notes when the chord changes from F# to Em as a distinct downbeat.

Ultimately it's your call, though.

Glad you like the lesson and thanks for the kudos.

Peace

slejhamer
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by slejhamer » July 31st, 2006, 2:24 pm

Thanks. I guess the changing feel of the song seemed less obvious to me, compared to say the 4/4 time in the guitar solo portion. Makes sense now. :)
"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

Musenfreund
Guitari Lama

Post by Musenfreund » December 31st, 2006, 7:04 am

palfguy writes:
http://www.guitarnoise.com/print_article.php?id=571

He says:
"Another thing you might do, especially to assist going from the B note at the second fret of the A string to the F# at the second fret of the E, is to roll your fingertip onto the lower string. This is a handy technique to develop for both bass and guitar playing and takes only a little concentrated effort to get the hang of it."

What does he mean by roll your fingertip?
and answers:
Nevermind, I figured it out. I was doing it naturally.
Again, please remember not to duplicate threads on lessons. If there is already a thread on a lesson, post all questions or comments in that thread.
Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon