(Going to) Kansas City

Got a question on a lesson? Don't quite understand what or how or why? Just want some company as you learn? Come join the gang in the lesson forum
Musenfreund
Guitari Lama

Re: Beginner Group - (Going to) Kansas City

Post by Musenfreund » August 29th, 2003, 8:11 am

[quote author=dhodge link=board=guitar_beginner;num=1061577335;start=0#14 date=08/29/03 at 08:10:18]Hi Allison

Since bar 12 (at least the one Tim diagrammed here) is straight triplets, you should abandon the shuffle for that measure.

Generally, use the shuffle for rhythm and then drop it if you're dong single-note fills.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, too, for the heads-up on the typo in "Scaling the Heights." I'm beginning to wonder if I've ever written anything without mistakes!   ;)

Peace[/quote]

Yeah, I'm terrible at explaining or writing about rhythm.  I find myself vamping around on this stuff until it sounds right.  That's always my default position in these discussions  -- play around with it until it sounds bluesy.  How's that for precision?   :-/
Isn't that what Beethoven used to put in his scores?
Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Violet S

Post by Violet S » August 29th, 2003, 5:43 pm

Thanks David, I don't think I explained myself very well either, I wasn't trying for the full shuffle beat (in bar 12), just a sort of blues feel on the notes , but I found it hard to get that on the descending arpeggio, ie couldn't work out which note to emphasize.

best!

trudolfs

Post by trudolfs » September 4th, 2003, 4:28 am

If you havent noticed it yet, I will drop out of the beginner group :'(

I do not have time to practice now, so it will have to wait until winter. Simply to much going on. Maybe there will be a later group?

Good luck to the rest of you!

/zc

Musenfreund
Guitari Lama

Post by Musenfreund » September 4th, 2003, 5:57 am

[quote author=zc link=board=guitar_beginner;num=1061577335;start=15#17 date=09/04/03 at 05:28:08]If you havent noticed it yet, I will drop out of the beginner group :'(

I do not have time to practice now, so it will have to wait until winter. Simply to much going on. Maybe there will be a later group?

Good luck to the rest of you!

/zc[/quote]

Hey ZC,
Sorry to hear life is hectic.  (But playing guitar sure does wonders to calm nerves.)
Membership in the Beginners' group is completely unofficial and cannot be revoked.  It's a sort of drop by whenever you have a chance sort of thing.  It will come and go as need dictates.  So just let us know when you think it's time to have a go at another tune, okay?
Tim
-- John Lennon

Violet S

Post by Violet S » September 4th, 2003, 4:24 pm

zc - very sorry to hear you've got no time for guitar at the moment  -  everyone's contribution helped me keep my practice up.  They say even 10 minutes practise a day is helpful - I found Kansas City easier than the previous song, cos it wasn't so far up the neck, and I just practise the previous song a bit, after this effort my fingers are now a lot stronger.

Well, you mentioned on another thread that you were getting a new guitar, hope you find a good one!

All the best, Allison

Musenfreund
Guitari Lama

Post by Musenfreund » September 10th, 2003, 9:11 am

This one's coming unstuck.  Just letting you know.
-- John Lennon

Violet S

Post by Violet S » September 16th, 2003, 5:03 pm

Hi,

I picked up a really cool version of Muddy Waters doing Kansas City last week (Chicago 1979); I've been trying to play along with it - it's a bit difficult - guess I'm trying to run before I can walk, anyways at least I can understand more of what's happening in the song  ???

Musenfreund
Guitari Lama

Post by Musenfreund » September 16th, 2003, 5:20 pm

Sounds cool.  The Beatles have a really happening version of it too.  It's originally Little Richard, I do believe.
-- John Lennon

Violet S

Post by Violet S » September 16th, 2003, 5:40 pm

ah right, thanks, neat!

Polk

Post by Polk » December 17th, 2003, 11:52 am

Hi,
new to this site, thanks a lot for the great lessons.
one quick question about this song, how exactly are we supposed to play the D in the 6th bar? I'm asking 'cause of the little slanted line in front of it...
Cheers,
Paul

dhodge
Musically Insane

Post by dhodge » December 17th, 2003, 12:39 pm

[quote author=Polk link=board=lessons;num=1063285549;start=15#24 date=12/17/03 at 11:52:20]...one quick question about this song, how exactly are we supposed to play the D in the 6th bar? I'm asking 'cause of the little slanted line in front of it...
Cheers,
Paul[/quote]

Hi Paul

Welcome aboard and please feel free to ask away!

The little slanted line, when used in tablature, usually denotes a slide. You want to actually fret the first or second fret (depending on (a) how good you are at this technique and/or (b) which you think sounds better) and when you pick that note, immediately slide your finger up to the D at the third fret.

You can find out more about this technique (and the three other "basic" ones for guitar) in the column "Tricks of the Trade," which you can find here:

http://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=22

Hope this helps and I hope we'll get to chat more with you.

Peace

Polk

Post by Polk » December 20th, 2003, 9:19 am

thanks  :)

fretfumbler

Post by fretfumbler » March 30th, 2004, 6:44 pm

Great song!

I'm glad I decided to try it.  Sorry, Musenfreund, I had to put "Here Comes the Sun" on the back burner for a while.

Dave's lesson here has me contemplating quitting my guitar lessons.  This lesson is quite thorough and gives me many options for the 12 bar.  I'm thinking...why am I paying $35 an hour for lessons again?

Musenfreund
Guitari Lama

Post by Musenfreund » March 30th, 2004, 7:39 pm

Hey, that's okay.  The Beatles did a great cover of Kansas City on Beatles for Sale.  The sun will come eventually!
-- John Lennon

dhodge
Musically Insane

Post by dhodge » March 30th, 2004, 9:36 pm

[quote author=fretfumbler link=board=lessons;num=1063285549;start=15#27 date=03/30/04 at 18:44:50]Dave's lesson here has me contemplating quitting my guitar lessons.  This lesson is quite thorough and gives me many options for the 12 bar.  I'm thinking...why am I paying $35 an hour for lessons again?[/quote]

Thanks for the kudos and also for letting me know that I'm charging the same rates someone else is!  ;)   Of course, that's one the seminars can be such a bargain.

Now, if only I can get the publishers on board...

Peace