Where did you sleep last night - finger placement for e5 chord?

Got a question on a lesson? Don't quite understand what or how or why? Just want some company as you learn? Come join the gang in the lesson forum
jenny b

Where did you sleep last night - finger placement for e5 chord?

Post by jenny b » August 19th, 2016, 10:57 am

Hi all,
just a question on the 'where did you sleep last night' lesson, I am having real trouble making the E5 chord and wondering if there's a better way to make it than what I'm doing.
I'm using my index and middle finger on A & D strings 2nd frets, and stretching with my ring finger to try to reach the 4th fret on the g string. As this is quite a stretch and takes me about 10mins, I've tried holding the a & d string with my index and the g string with the ring finger, which is quicker but mutes the rest of the higher strings, doesn't sound great. Is there a better way I'm missing? or do i just need to get stretchier :lol:
thanks, jen.

Nick
Administrator

Re: Where did you sleep last night - finger placement for e5 chord?

Post by Nick » August 20th, 2016, 2:48 am

Why not use your little finger?
Click below for all my guitarnoise articles and reviews

http://www.guitarnoise.com/author/nicktorres/

My songs (Some not suitable for minors)

http://www.soundclick.com/nfshakespeare

jenny b

Post by jenny b » August 20th, 2016, 4:05 am

Thanks Nick, would that be more normal than using the ring finger? My pinky is somewhat wayward and doesn't seem to want to move without bringing the ring finger with it, so I kinda gave up on it, but if it ought to be doing more than it is, then i guess i should work on training it :lol:

jerryt

Post by jerryt » February 4th, 2017, 7:34 am

I can't make that stretch cleanly either and I am using my pinky. I leave the g string out by dampening it since the b note is already sounding on 2 strings.

LessPaul

Post by LessPaul » February 7th, 2017, 1:29 pm

I say use the lower 3 strings and forget the rest.
OR
If you can make your hand get to the shape a few times. Use your pinky to actually fret the note, and squeeze harder than you think you need to for 30 seconds. It'll help with the muscle memory of it.