What scale would I play over this chord?

Well who doesn't have a question about theory? Come on in and get them answered here. Beginning to advanced theory questions are welcome.
duncantkane9206

What scale would I play over this chord?

Post by duncantkane9206 » July 30th, 2017, 6:22 am

I wish to solo over this chord progression in my song - the chords don't stick within any particular key it moves around chord to chord. The verse progression is:
G Bb+ Dm E7 C D (repeat)
For most of them, I would just solo over the scale that corresponds to the root note of the chord. I know I don't have to explain it here, but just an example. For the G chord, I would solo over G major pentatonic, and for the Dm chord I would solo over the D minor pentatonic scale, etc. TLDR; what scale would I play over a Bb+ chord? Sorry if I rambled haha, this is my first post and I haven't slept in 20 hours. Thanks!!

Alan Green
Guitari Lama

Re: What scale would I play over this chord?

Post by Alan Green » July 30th, 2017, 9:35 pm

For the Bb+ chord it's time to start tinkering with the G major scale and start focussing on chord tones.

I'd be looking to emphasise G (in the G chord), F# (in the Bb+) to F natural (in the Dm) followed by G# (in the E7), G natural (in C) and finishing with F# (in D) to give a pair of chromatic movements.

Or - emphasise B (in the G), Bb (in the Bb+) and A (in the Dm) for an alternative chromatic movement

Or - emphasise D (in the G), keep the D (in the Bb+) and hang on to D again in the Dm and E7 to build tension using a static note over a moving chord sequence.

Alternatively, just looking at the Bb+, the bottom half of a D major scale will work, using E and G as passing notes.

Your possibilities are really endless; noodle around with a few ideas until one of them starts to connect.
"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger
"I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk

Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

NoteBoat
Musically Insane

Re: What scale would I play over this chord?

Post by NoteBoat » July 31st, 2017, 8:31 am

You might also try a whole tone scale over Bb+, since augmented chords are made of two major thirds, each of which are two whole steps.
Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL