Question about how to play standard notation right

Well who doesn't have a question about theory? Come on in and get them answered here. Beginning to advanced theory questions are welcome.
VampireKiller

Question about how to play standard notation right

Post by VampireKiller » February 15th, 2004, 4:05 pm

How do i do it?
There are lots of ways to play a single note on the neck, up, down, open, which is the right string.
How do i know where is the right place to play a note or a piece, there's got to be some rule.
It all seems a bit "free" to me.
Psychedelic Violence ~ X ~ Crime of Visual Shock

markyesme

Re: Question about how to play standard notation r

Post by markyesme » February 15th, 2004, 4:09 pm

It is free.  

Usually, you will try and see what fingerings seem likely (I usually start with open position, and if that seems too difficult, then I check other positions).   There have even been some classical exercises I have done where later exercises involved playing the same piece in a different position.

Classical notation will often include some indication over the staff to indicate what position this is to be played in; something like "Pos. III".  

I hope that clears up everything a little.  Some other folks will probably chime in who have more knowledge on the subject than I, which should clarify it further and perhaps correct my errors.
The Easy Song Database: http://www2.shore.net/~maryesme/bin/easy.cgi

Take part in its creation: viewforum.php?f=7

Musenfreund
Guitari Lama

Post by Musenfreund » February 15th, 2004, 7:48 pm

That's the beauty of tab, isn't it?  Even then the fingerings given even in published tab aren't necessarily always the best fingerings.  Ah, the complexity of it all!
Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

NoteBoat
Musically Insane

Post by NoteBoat » February 15th, 2004, 9:08 pm

I scan the music first... since the open position only goes up to the first A above the staff (and you stretch for that), I'm looking for spots where there's lots of ledger lines, and I make a mental note of how high I'm going to have to go.  That way I'm not just sliding around on the E string -- I can shift positions a bit earlier than I 'need' to, and make the changes smoother.

Next I look at the key signature.  Although you can play just about any key in just about any position, there are certain positions for each key where the fingering makes more sense than it does in others... the 'best' ones for me will be those that have the root under the second or fourth finger when it's played on the 5th or 6th string.  For example, if the key signature is Eb (three flats), I'm going to focus on positions 3, 5, 8, and 10.

In time you'll find that the freedom that comes from being able to play a note in four or five different places makes the guitar one of the most flexible and expressive instruments... it just makes it a bit hard to navigate in the beginning.

Tom
Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

Alan Green
Guitari Lama

Post by Alan Green » February 16th, 2004, 12:40 am

It's also important to look at what is played before and after, and work out where on the neck it would be easiest to play that.

Best,

A :-)
"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger
"I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk

Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

VampireKiller

Post by VampireKiller » February 16th, 2004, 1:38 am

Thank you all for clearing that up, I really appreciate it.

Well, I guess that's the great thing about it, to work out how to play a piece and to give it a personal note perhaps, much better and "rewarding" than a fixed way in my opinion.

So, thank you again.
Psychedelic Violence ~ X ~ Crime of Visual Shock