Your 5 Favorite Albums

If you have a post about music or guitar that doesn't really fit anywhere else, put it here. This is strictly on topic, guitar or music related topics only. Please be civil and courteous here. This forum is moderated and respectful conversation is expected.
User avatar
Rgalvez
Senior Member
Posts: 715
Joined: November 4th, 2006, 9:07 am
Location: Lima,Peru

Post by Rgalvez » July 29th, 2007, 6:00 am

Kevin72790 wrote:Band of Gypsys- Band of Gypsys
Pink Floyd- Dark Side of the Moon
The Jimi Hendrix Experience- Electric Ladyland
The Jimi Hendrix Experience- Are You Experienced?
The Jimi Hendrix Experience- Axis: Bold as Love

Sorry for the lack of variety. ;)

If I could extend the list to seven I'd add...
Pink Floyd- The Wall
Pink Floyd- Meddle

Such variety. lol.
No Problem.. For a lack of variety you should see Rahul's picks ;)

User avatar
Vic Lewis VL
Albus Dumblechord
Posts: 10861
Joined: April 28th, 2004, 2:54 pm
Location: Newton-le-Willows, England
Contact:

Post by Vic Lewis VL » July 29th, 2007, 6:56 am

Mott The Hoople - Mott
Nazareth - Razamanaz
Who - Who's Next
Stones - Exiles On Main Street
Status Quo - Piledriver

All come under the category of "Classic Rock" and I've bought every one of them on vinyl, cassette and CD. Interesting to note the release dates - Who's Next '71, Exiles and Piledriver '72, and Mott and Razamanaz in '73, so I bought them all between the ages of 14 and 16. Each of them had a classic single - which were my main purchases in those days - released from the album; All The Way From Memphis, Broken Down Angel, Won't Get Fooled Again, Tumbling Dice and Paper Plane, each of which I bought before buying the album.

Other albums I bought around that time were:

Relics - Pink Floyd
For Your Pleasure - Roxy Music (Hey Roberto, nice to see another big fan of Roxy Music!
Fireball - Deep Purple
Slade Alive and Sladest - Slade
Electric Warrior - T. Rex
Blood On The Tracks - Bob Dylan (that's the one I had the hardest time leaving out of my top 5......)

Looking at that list, my tastes haven't changed over the years!

:D :D :D

Vic
"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

User avatar
Kevin72790
Senior Member
Posts: 836
Joined: December 25th, 2006, 7:34 am
Location: United States

Post by Kevin72790 » July 29th, 2007, 7:03 am

Rgalvez wrote:
Kevin72790 wrote:Band of Gypsys- Band of Gypsys
Pink Floyd- Dark Side of the Moon
The Jimi Hendrix Experience- Electric Ladyland
The Jimi Hendrix Experience- Are You Experienced?
The Jimi Hendrix Experience- Axis: Bold as Love

Sorry for the lack of variety. ;)

If I could extend the list to seven I'd add...
Pink Floyd- The Wall
Pink Floyd- Meddle

Such variety. lol.
No Problem.. For a lack of variety you should see Rahul's picks ;)
Wow. And I thought I was bad. Atleast...nevermind. >_>

Vic- Relics, eh? That was Floyd's first compilation album. I think it does a nice job giving a bit of the Syd-era and the very eary post-Syd era. I hate "The Nile Song" though.
Image

User avatar
Vic Lewis VL
Albus Dumblechord
Posts: 10861
Joined: April 28th, 2004, 2:54 pm
Location: Newton-le-Willows, England
Contact:

Post by Vic Lewis VL » July 29th, 2007, 7:17 am

Kevin - yeah, Relics was a dirt-cheap sampler album - at a time when a normal album cost £2.25 or so, you could pick up a copy of Relics for £0.59 - a single cost around £0.50! It shipped huge quantities for that reason - virtually everybody had a copy, but it never made the album charts because of the price. I don't have a copy these days - I used to play "Interstellar Overdrive" a LOT, though!

:D :D :D

Vic
"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

User avatar
Kevin72790
Senior Member
Posts: 836
Joined: December 25th, 2006, 7:34 am
Location: United States

Post by Kevin72790 » July 29th, 2007, 8:13 am

Vic Lewis wrote:Kevin - yeah, Relics was a dirt-cheap sampler album - at a time when a normal album cost £2.25 or so, you could pick up a copy of Relics for £0.59 - a single cost around £0.50! It shipped huge quantities for that reason - virtually everybody had a copy, but it never made the album charts because of the price. I don't have a copy these days - I used to play "Interstellar Overdrive" a LOT, though!

:D :D :D

Vic
Sweet. I love Interstellar Overdrive. One of my favorites by Floyd. That and "Astronomy Domine". Obviously a lot of it is just psychedelic noodling but it's damn good psychedelic noodling. ;)
Image

User avatar
CitiZenNoir
Guitarnoise Denizen
Posts: 1249
Joined: April 10th, 2007, 3:03 pm
Location: Lost in the Woods

Post by CitiZenNoir » July 29th, 2007, 8:40 am

Okay, you guys got me.
I failed to mention in my top 500 posting about stuff from 1967 that still sounds fresh.... Syd's Floyd.
Particularly Piper.
Wonderful stuff.

You see, I'm having such a hard time with all of this kinda stuff because my vinyl collection is in moth balls back in Ill.
And Melody STILL has most of my CD collection.
So, I'm left with a handful of CDs and I really don't listen to the radio (at home or in transit).
So for about the last 4 years or so, I've been in a kinda musical limbo.
Please forgive me and my limited memory :D

Anyway,
That brings me to my Fav-5.
Like I said, difficult, as I really don't have my collection with me.
I'll try though.

Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
Derek & The Dominos (sic) - Layla and OALS
Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac - The Original Fleetwood Mac (Box Set version)
Dexter Gordon - Ballads
Bob Dylan - Hwy 61 Revisited

Pretty much what I had on my desrert island set.
It sure leaves a lot out. :cry:

Ken
"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

User avatar
smokindog
Musically Insane
Posts: 5364
Joined: September 27th, 2004, 7:55 pm
Location: Powdersville S.C.
Contact:

Post by smokindog » July 29th, 2007, 8:55 am

Today it would be....
Beatles............White Album
The Stones.......Sticky Fingers
Niel Young........After the Goldrush
Led Zeppelin.....The first album
Genisis.............Live (1973)

Yesterday it was.... :P
Traffic...John Barley Corn Must Die
King Crimson....In the Court of the Crimson King
Junior Brown.....Guit With It
King Crimson ...Dicipline
Derick and the dominos...Layla and other assorted love songs

User avatar
Rgalvez
Senior Member
Posts: 715
Joined: November 4th, 2006, 9:07 am
Location: Lima,Peru

Post by Rgalvez » July 29th, 2007, 9:24 am

Vic Lewis wrote:
For Your Pleasure - Roxy Music (Hey Roberto, nice to see another big fan of Roxy Music!

Vic
I love Roxy Music.What a killer band! and Bryan Ferry will always remain as one of my big influences . I always imitated this aching expressions he does when he sings hehe, and 'Virginia Plain' is one of the best things done in less than three minutes.Now Ferry has a kind of resurrection in his music (I didn't like the 80's sensual solo stuff yechh) but sadly his voice is not the same.
An anecdote: In the 80's I was a drummer in a band where the lead guitarist was disguised as a metal freak, the singer and keyboardist were darkies a la The Cure, the Bass guitar had a Status Quo look alike ..and me? the drummer? I had a White Tuxedo and Red Tie like my idol Bryan Ferry :))
Those were the days!

User avatar
Vic Lewis VL
Albus Dumblechord
Posts: 10861
Joined: April 28th, 2004, 2:54 pm
Location: Newton-le-Willows, England
Contact:

Post by Vic Lewis VL » July 29th, 2007, 9:34 am

OK, seeing as my top five all came from the 70's, just for fun I thought I'd do a top 5 60's list.....

Beatles - Revolver
Dylan - Blonde On Blonde
Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
Stones - Let It Bleed
Byrds - Sweetheart Of The Rodeo

Seeing as I couldn't fit Blood On The Tracks into my original list, I refuse to compromise and pick just one Dylan album from the 60's - hell, I could find room for all of them!

I'll get around to the 80's and 90's later.....

:D :D :D

Vic
"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

User avatar
smokindog
Musically Insane
Posts: 5364
Joined: September 27th, 2004, 7:55 pm
Location: Powdersville S.C.
Contact:

Post by smokindog » July 29th, 2007, 9:47 am

Hmmm...I can't think of many LP's from the eighties That would make a top 5 list :wink: I'll have to do some research on that :D

User avatar
Taso
Guitarnoise Addict
Posts: 3504
Joined: March 3rd, 2003, 4:17 pm
Location: Long Island, New York
Contact:

Post by Taso » July 29th, 2007, 10:03 am

Billy Joel - Piano Man
Billy Joel - The Stranger
Billy Joel - Glass Houses
Billy Joel - River of Dreams
Billy Joel - Streetlife Serenade

...(I know what you are thinking; Taso, why are you playing guitar? I do not know.)


The Very Best of Cream I think makes number 6...I don't want to bend the rules too far, so I WON'T tell you guys that My Generation: The Very Best of the Who makes number 7.

User avatar
Vic Lewis VL
Albus Dumblechord
Posts: 10861
Joined: April 28th, 2004, 2:54 pm
Location: Newton-le-Willows, England
Contact:

Post by Vic Lewis VL » July 29th, 2007, 10:07 am

Taso wrote:Billy Joel - Piano Man
Billy Joel - The Stranger
Billy Joel - Glass Houses
Billy Joel - River of Dreams
Billy Joel - Streetlife Serenade

...(I know what you are thinking; Taso, why are you playing guitar? I do not know.)


The Very Best of Cream I think makes number 6...I don't want to bend the rules too far, so I WON'T tell you guys that My Generation: The Very Best of the Who makes number 7.
The only surprise there is that "Innocent Man" doesn't make the list.....mind you, that's almost a greatest hits album all on its own!

:D :D :D

Vic
"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

User avatar
Taso
Guitarnoise Addict
Posts: 3504
Joined: March 3rd, 2003, 4:17 pm
Location: Long Island, New York
Contact:

Post by Taso » July 29th, 2007, 10:22 am

Vic Lewis wrote:
Taso wrote:Billy Joel - Piano Man
Billy Joel - The Stranger
Billy Joel - Glass Houses
Billy Joel - River of Dreams
Billy Joel - Streetlife Serenade

...(I know what you are thinking; Taso, why are you playing guitar? I do not know.)


The Very Best of Cream I think makes number 6...I don't want to bend the rules too far, so I WON'T tell you guys that My Generation: The Very Best of the Who makes number 7.
The only surprise there is that "Innocent Man" doesn't make the list.....mind you, that's almost a greatest hits album all on its own!

:D :D :D

Vic
Haha, well, to be honest all 13 original (or whatever) Billy albums are the top 13, I just wanted to be sure no one thought I only listened to one artist :P Yeah, Innocent Man is great, love the doo-wop-ish feel he had in that album.

jewtemplar
Full Member
Posts: 184
Joined: May 10th, 2005, 7:06 pm
Location: Northern Virginia
Contact:

Post by jewtemplar » July 29th, 2007, 1:49 pm

Sticky Fingers
Revolver
Pet Sounds
The Velvet Underground and Nico
Highway 61 Revisited
~Sam

User avatar
smokindog
Musically Insane
Posts: 5364
Joined: September 27th, 2004, 7:55 pm
Location: Powdersville S.C.
Contact:

Post by smokindog » July 29th, 2007, 2:01 pm

Taso wrote:Billy Joel - Piano Man
Billy Joel - The Stranger
Billy Joel - Glass Houses
Billy Joel - River of Dreams
Billy Joel - Streetlife Serenade

...(I know what you are thinking; Taso, why are you playing guitar? I do not know.)


The Very Best of Cream I think makes number 6...I don't want to bend the rules too far, so I WON'T tell you guys that My Generation: The Very Best of the Who makes number 7.
Thats funny, Ruhal is a big Billie Joe fan and Taso Loves Billy Joel. both posted Billy or Billie for all 5 choices :? Hmmmm..... must be some cosmic relation here :lol:

Post Reply