How Long To Wait?

If you have a post about music or guitar that doesn't really fit anywhere else, put it here. This is strictly on topic, guitar or music related topics only. Please be civil and courteous here. This forum is moderated and respectful conversation is expected.
dogbite
Musically Insane

Re: How Long To Wait?

Post by dogbite » April 11th, 2012, 4:15 pm

what is the concern is a different temperatures of the shipped amp and the room. in the dead of Winter the concern is higher.
the larger the difference the better chance of condensation (moisture) from a cold amp and a warm room.
the moisture can interfere with the electron flow. I never heard of situations becoming dangerous for humans, but there is
a chance for damage to the amp.
it is best to let the boxed amp come to room temp. when the box doesn't feel cold it is ok.
then feel the amp. if cold wait.
next turn the amp on and let the tubes warm for a minute.
all the better if the is a StandBy switch. have Standby On while warming the tubes.
shut off the amp by flipping the Standby switch back on. then turn the amp switch to off.
no kidding.

Cat
Guitarnoise Denizen

Post by Cat » April 11th, 2012, 5:28 pm

What he said...(^)...

You got yerseff a Golden, Parker??? Smarter than I'll ever be...and way better lookin', too! Once I'm gone...I only hope I can come back as a Golden Retriever owned by somebody like me!

Buddy let's me keep my feet tucked under him when I'm sitting at the board...

Love 'em... :wink:

Cat
"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

Cat
Guitarnoise Denizen

Post by Cat » April 11th, 2012, 5:31 pm

Cat wrote:Smarter than I'll ever be...and way better lookin', too!
Before you chime in, RP...I meant the dog...

Cat

TRGuitar
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by TRGuitar » April 12th, 2012, 9:08 am

dogbite wrote:what is the concern is a different temperatures of the shipped amp and the room. in the dead of Winter the concern is higher.
Yeah but it's April and Roy is in North Carolina ...... :lol: :lol: Said the windows were cracked open. (Don't you hate him?) How was your winter over there? Ours was amazingly mild. I was looking to see just what part of Wisconsin you were in. I saw something about Amish. Do you live in Amish country? Cause I am surrounded by them. Bet they don't have any Fender Twins. When I play my electric in my driveway in the summer you ought to see the way they stare at me when they ride by in their buggies. :mrgreen:
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

dogbite
Musically Insane

Post by dogbite » April 13th, 2012, 5:06 am

my post is to e taken as using the most conservative approach to amp and temperature variations.
I agree, Roy is safe .

rparker
Musically Insane

Post by rparker » April 13th, 2012, 7:06 am

Yeah, that day ended up being only a few degrees difference between outside and inside. It had warmed up plenty outside by 3:30 or so. It was still a valid question, although not pertinent any longer. I felt inside the back of the amp to make sure there were no significant temp changes and it all felt fine. I still waited for a bit, though.

Good advice to be considered for other scenarios, too. Summer time for us is brutal. Going from house to car to gig or practice could be tough. That eye-glasses fogging up effect thing.

TR in the driveway. The "Concert for the Cows" series. Gotta love it. I've brought mine to the deck before. I opened the 15w up a little out there more than once. Blasting out the highway. :) I'm looking forward to bringing this one out there. :twisted: :twisted:
Cat wrote:You got yerseff a Golden, Parker??? Smarter than I'll ever be...
Dumbest dog I've ever seen. Sweetest, too, but darned dumb. He's getting to be an old boy now. He'll hit 10 sometime this year. That picture is old.
Roy

"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

s1120

Post by s1120 » April 13th, 2012, 12:25 pm

rparker wrote:TR in the driveway. The "Concert for the Cows" series. Gotta love it. I've brought mine to the deck before. I opened the 15w up a little out there more than once. Blasting out the highway. :) I'm looking forward to bringing this one out there. :twisted: :twisted:

Ive brought the electric out to the porch a few time to open it up. :D Normaly I save my outside stuff for the resonator though. Its a lot of fun sitting on the pool deck strumming away with a nice Bass ale next to me. :)
Paul B

rparker
Musically Insane

Post by rparker » April 13th, 2012, 7:10 pm

I bring my acoustic out front every now and then. I hadn't all Spring so far, but I did clean the area and I imagine it will be in use as early as this weekend. We're hopefully going down to the shore next weekend. I'll likely bring a beach chair and my acoustic down and enjoy some mild spring weather. The house we're staying at has a nice place on the back porch to play any style as long as it's not too loud. :) I do like being outside.
Roy

"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

rparker
Musically Insane

Re: How Long To Wait? TS: Some Words About This Amp

Post by rparker » April 13th, 2012, 7:47 pm

So, I've had this bundle of joy for two day now. This stayed downstairs behind my pedals. My wife likes the looks of it in that space better than she did the Blues Deluxe. A win all around.

The Blues Deluxe sits behind my guitar in the stuido/office, and to the left of my Eleven Rack. The Blues Deluxe is going to stay totally analog, at least for now. I'll very happy to have it right were I do 1/2 my playing now.

That leaves the Fender Twin Reverb downstairs and ever at the ready. I guess what follows is my take on this amp. A+ so far for the simplicity of operation. This amp has two channels, and each channel has two different powered inputs. One is a good bit quieter than the other. This does help me out a good bit sometimes when I get challenged by how low or softly I have to play. Being able to go down a bit lets me leave all the knobs where they were on the amp and guitar. It does help.

This thing didn't come loaded, but what it did come with, it shines well with. The Vibrato (or Tremelo) is usefull as you'd imagined it should be.Very simple, too. a couple of knobs covers you and you've got the desired Vibrato in no time flat. Next up is Reverb. One knob. Very easy to dial in what you want and very easy to use the foot switch to turn either of them on or off. A bad mark that you have to have the foot pedal to do the Vibrato. Seems kind of chincy.

Going from there we have two seperate sets of EQ for each channel. On each channel, too, is the Bright Switch. Now, I'm not one to hoot and holler about nifty little switches, especially when I wasn't sure of what they could do. These work. Turn on that Bright Switch and you've entered a world of snappiness when picking your notes. It's got that snap to it, and it happened so obviously and easily that I now have a re-newed appreciation for the one on my BDRI as well as the digitial Eleven Rack.

Back at the Twin for a moment. This thing plays itself. You feel more like a DJ. Wanna play Crazy Little Thing called love on an LP? No probs. Flip the switch to the bridge and it's off running and doing quite well. Want to play some nice jazzy barred 7th chords or something? Sheeeeeet, this thing is built for that. A few gentle rakes later leaves you in a nice little groove in easy listening Jazz land. Want to brighten things up? Pick up the pace a little bit. No worries. This amp is very easy to get lost in. Set a timer if you need to be somewhere.

This does it. I've got about 7-8 hours on her now. I've had it sing gentlely with the breeze or all snapped up with some rockabilly and I'm not really good at either. Time fo stuff I do know, and it handles that easily too.I guess that's how you can tell a good amp. No matter what you play on it, no matter the pedals I've tried so far, this amp has made it sound like it was built for the current purpose on anything I've tried. I think when you get down to it, that's about as much as you can expect from an amp. It does everything you ask it to do (within reason, of course) and it does it all while it makes you look like a gifted guitarist.

Well, that's my non-technical take on this. YMMV. It was crafted with me in mind. It had to have been. I've played this. You can't convince me otherwise. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Roy

TRGuitar
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by TRGuitar » April 13th, 2012, 9:41 pm

dogbite wrote:my post is to e taken as using the most conservative approach to amp and temperature variations.
I agree, Roy is safe .
Yeah I know and agree with you ... was just sending a shot down Roy's way for living in a nice climate.... but hows the weather your way? Looks like beautiful country. Personally I'd move down with Roy though cause it looks just like here where you are. Thats why I wondered about the amish. Gotta watch those buggies when driving up here.

And yes Roy, I have done Florida in summer and I appreciate the condensation and humidity you get to enjoy. It hits you in the face like a wall. I bet you would go through strings at a good clip in the summer.

So, the amp is at home ... do we get pictures?
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

rparker
Musically Insane

Post by rparker » April 14th, 2012, 3:02 am

TRGuitar wrote:So, the amp is at home ... do we get pictures?
Sure thing. I'll take a picture of that set-up later this morning.
TRGuitar wrote: I bet you would go through strings at a good clip in the summer.
If you had a lousy A/C system, yeah, they'd be goners in no time. A good A/C system knocks the humidity out of the air and makes it breathable. I change far more strings this time of year and late Autumn than I do in the Summer. The A/C and Heat both mess with the guitar necks. Especially my Squire Tele neck. I never leave that one in a room with an open window overnight. :evil:

btw, a friend of my son's has a JCM something or other head and subsequent cab. 1/2 stack, 4X12s, I think. I put him on my eleven Rack to test a Marshall-based patch. He said it was spot on. I remembered my sample I posted in Hear Here and I never did release one of the Marshall simulations. I know how to dial in the tube amp feel now (just like advertised). I'll tweek one up and do a Marshall test tos ee what you think.

On a side note, he has a $1,800 LP traditional and we both prefer my honey burst Epi LP. Kind of goes in line with what you've been saying all along.

Boy, talk about getting OT. :)
Roy

Cat
Guitarnoise Denizen

Post by Cat » April 14th, 2012, 4:27 pm

Cat wrote: Smarter than I'll ever be...and way better lookin', too! Once I'm gone...I only hope I can come back as a Golden Retriever owned by somebody like me! Cat
Hey, it's taken over 60 years to figure out how true this is. Dog's Rule...I've had headphones on Buddy with my music on it as we watched "Meerkat Manor". Nah! How dumb can they be? None of them need a job...and bludge off you. Not dumb...

All my dogs had to put up with my playing, so...they think I should be grateful.

Cat