Emotion, expression, blah blah blah

If you have a post about music or guitar that doesn't really fit anywhere else, put it here. This is strictly on topic, guitar or music related topics only. Please be civil and courteous here. This forum is moderated and respectful conversation is expected.
Crow

Re: Emotion, expression, blah blah blah

Post by Crow » April 21st, 2012, 3:20 pm

Vic Lewis VL wrote:There has to be emotion in music - otherwise, how would it elicit an emotional response from the listener?

:D :D :D
There is no emotion in flowers.... :)
"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

NoteBoat
Musically Insane

Post by NoteBoat » April 21st, 2012, 3:28 pm

Cat wrote:Did you know that, way back when, Benedictine monks PROHIBITED "outsiders'" hearing a suspended 4th???

Cat
I'd love to see a source for that. My gut feeling is that it can't possibly be true... but I'll 'suspend' my explanation of why until I hear why you believe it :)
Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

Crow

Post by Crow » April 21st, 2012, 3:54 pm

Augmented fourth, maybe? The history of the tritone is loaded with emotion.
"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

NoteBoat
Musically Insane

Post by NoteBoat » April 21st, 2012, 4:10 pm

And with rumor, Crow. A common trope on the internet is that the tritone was prohibited in the middle ages - which isn't true at all. Although the medievals did call it 'diabolicus en musica' (the devil in music) it was still commonly used - just carefully.

Cat
Guitarnoise Denizen

Post by Cat » April 22nd, 2012, 5:36 am

NoteBoat wrote:
Cat wrote:Did you know that, way back when, Benedictine monks PROHIBITED "outsiders'" hearing a suspended 4th???

Cat
I'd love to see a source for that. My gut feeling is that it can't possibly be true... but I'll 'suspend' my explanation of why until I hear why you believe it :)
I was one
"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

NoteBoat
Musically Insane

Post by NoteBoat » April 22nd, 2012, 6:12 am

If you're serious about that, it's hardly "way back when" :)

Crow

Post by Crow » April 22nd, 2012, 7:36 am

NoteBoat wrote:If you're serious about that, it's hardly "way back when" :)
It was way back when. Cat was Pope Gregory XVI in a past life.

Cat
Guitarnoise Denizen

Post by Cat » April 22nd, 2012, 11:59 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And I thought that I was the one with the joke!

Made my day, fellas...

Tough, tough divorce on my head, heart and soul, fellas...

Cat

Crow

Post by Crow » April 22nd, 2012, 12:08 pm

I am genuinely sorry to hear that, Cat. That sucks.

HOWEVER... just to guide us back on topic... how about playing a guitar solo expressing what you're feeling and posting it for us? :wink:

Cat
Guitarnoise Denizen

Post by Cat » April 22nd, 2012, 1:33 pm

Gimme a private addy...I'm writing like never before. 350 tunes generating royalties sonce 1974 and I'm hotter than I couyld have ever imagined. But I REFUSE to send out uncopywritten materials. "The Lines On my Face" is a mind blower and will get me a Grammy. Just PM me an addy and WETRENSFER will send you one of the fouryeen I've just started doing rhythm sections on.

Cat

cnev
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by cnev » April 23rd, 2012, 12:24 pm

Vic wrote
There has to be emotion in music - otherwise, how would it elicit an emotional response from the listener?

Sorry buddy but I have to disagree with that statement and I could use a million examples of why there isn't but Crow's example of the flower is enough.

Music is just a sequence of notes the fact that those notes illicit an emotion in you doesn't mean the notes themselves possess that emotion only that your brain has interpretted those notes and from that interpretation it has created an emotion in you, but that emotion or reaction to those notes is different to everyone that hears it.

Emotion is a complex psychophysiological experience of an individual's state of mind as interacting with biochemical (internal) and environmental (external) influences. In humans, emotion fundamentally involves "physiological arousal, expressive behaviors, and conscious experience."[1] Emotion is associated with mood, temperament, personality, disposition, and motivation. Motivations direct and energize behavior, while emotions provide the affective component to motivation, positive or negative
"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Vic Lewis VL
Albus Dumblechord

Post by Vic Lewis VL » April 23rd, 2012, 4:49 pm

So - a songwriter puts his heart and soul into his lyrics, bares his soul, shares his feelings with the world at large....but there's no emotion in music? We're going to have to (respectfully) disagree on this one. There HAS to be emotion inherent in music - otherwise, how could you possibly FEEL anything listening to said music?
There is no emotion in flowers
Science has proved that flowers scream when plucked....that's an emotional response, surely?

:D :D :D

Vic
"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

cnev
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by cnev » April 24th, 2012, 4:32 am

Vic, you make this argument based on your personal interaction with music, another person can listen to the same music that the composer bared his heart and soul and yawn....nothing no emotions, no feelings no arousal zero so what does that mean.

This emotion that YOU feel is because YOU created it in your mind, the chemical reactions that happened when your ears heard that music along with every experience you've had and all the things you come to expect and have been raised to hear when listening to western music all come together to form that emotion but it isn't inherently in the music itself.

What might make you sad may make me happy it's all how our minds process the stimulus.

Crow

Post by Crow » April 24th, 2012, 8:15 am

Just a couple of thoughts this morning:

- Whether music is or isn't inherently emotional does not lessen its beauty, or its value.

- Whether music is or isn't inherently emotional does not mean we should not play it like it is inherently emotional. Act like it's true, whether it is or not! :D

cnev
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by cnev » April 24th, 2012, 8:40 am

Crow I totally agree with the first statement and if you can tell me how to do the second I'll go with both.