A little chuckle at an advert.....

If you have a post about music or guitar that doesn't really fit anywhere else, put it here. This is strictly on topic, guitar or music related topics only. Please be civil and courteous here. This forum is moderated and respectful conversation is expected.
Vic Lewis VL
Albus Dumblechord

A little chuckle at an advert.....

Post by Vic Lewis VL » April 20th, 2012, 12:47 pm

Just signed into GN, and right next to the GN logo I noticed an advert:

Music Taught By Professionals Call 01925 290620 / 07746144788 and then a link to the website -www.themusicrooms.co.uk .... I go past the building regularly (01925 is the area code for Newton-le-Willows, where I live) but when I was a kid - a LITTLE kid, over 50 years ago - it was where I had my first haircuts, used to be Len Clough's barber shop. His apprentice was a young lad called Gerry Kenny - who left to pursue a career in rock'n'roll, had a top 30 hit back in 1963 (!) with a cover of Mose Allison's "Parchman Farm."

A few years ago, back in about 2005, I started going to an acoustic jam night at a local pub..Gerry was a regular in there. He didn't bring a guitar in, but with a bit of persuasion he could be tempted to play a song or two late on. Excellent guitarist, too - it was Gerry who told me "Stuck In The Middle With You" was in open D tuning and showed me how it SHOULD be played!

Also a few years ago, Gerry opened a barber shop of his own just around the corner from where I live - not that I tend to frequent them too often (I had a haircut in Dec 2010 for Marilyn's 60th birthday, then the next one was March 22nd 2012.....) but I did call in every now and then for a trim....and to talk guitar, of course! Funny thing was, when Gerry sold up the shop, it was bought by the bloke - Lenny - who followed Gerry as Len Clough's apprentice. He did the March 22nd haircut - and he's retired last week, reached the age of 65.

Lord, I feel OLD!

:D :D :D

Vic
"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)