Beginner guitar

If you have a post about music or guitar that doesn't really fit anywhere else, put it here. This is strictly on topic, guitar or music related topics only. Please be civil and courteous here. This forum is moderated and respectful conversation is expected.
john p

Beginner guitar

Post by john p » January 29th, 2014, 7:24 am

I'm a 70 year old man interested in learning the guitar. Preferring a modest investment in a user friendly acoustic learning guitar, I have narrowed my interest down to either the Saegull Slim Cedar Dreadnought S6 or the less expensive Yamaha FG700S Folk Acoustic. I would really appreciate some thoughts you may have on this.

Thanks.

cnev
Guitarnoise Addict

Re: Beginner guitar

Post by cnev » January 29th, 2014, 11:12 am

For what it's worth I think if it feels good in your hands, is playable (meaning the action isn't crazy high) and you like the way it sounds it's good for you.
"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

john p

Post by john p » January 30th, 2014, 12:49 pm

:) Thanks for your help!

Nuno
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by Nuno » January 30th, 2014, 2:11 pm

First of all, welcome to GN, John!

Seagull makes very nice guitars. I was considering to buy a Seagull when I bought my acoustic. Finally I decided on another brand but the Seagull was a great candidate.

On the other hand, Yamaha also makes great instruments, mainly (or also) in the entry segment.

Try to play both, just play some chords and feel how comfortable are they to your body, your hands, etc. Try to listen how they sound, too. Maybe you could ask the salesperson to play for you.

john p

Post by john p » January 30th, 2014, 3:25 pm

Thanks a lot for your response and advice, Nuno. Without input from you and others I could really make a big mistake, so big I'm afraid I might just give up on learning right near the start. Oh, I still might make a mistake, but it won't be a big one, I feel.

Again, thanks.

John

steves6

Post by steves6 » January 30th, 2014, 6:50 pm

+1 for the Seagull!

Vic Lewis VL
Albus Dumblechord

Post by Vic Lewis VL » February 1st, 2014, 10:57 am

Yamaha make some really nice beginner guitars. Actually, they make nice guitars...period. Not my favourite tone, they're a little mellow for me...I prefer a louder, more trebly sound.. But for a beginner, yeah, I'd recommend a Yahama any day. With the usual codicil....try before you buy! If you don't like your first guitar, it'll never get better....'til you get that lottery win, and can afford a Martin!

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

:D :D :D

Vic
"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Vic Lewis VL
Albus Dumblechord

Post by Vic Lewis VL » February 1st, 2014, 11:05 am

Oh and it may be an afterthought, but why not give us a clue to what you want to play...might help us a little more? Folk, blues, country, rock, got to pick the right guitar for what you want to play!

:D :D :D

Vic
"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)