Im a beginner, Should I learn to play with a Pick or with the fingers?

If you have a post about music or guitar that doesn't really fit anywhere else, put it here. This is strictly on topic, guitar or music related topics only. Please be civil and courteous here. This forum is moderated and respectful conversation is expected.

What is better pick or fingers?

Pick
50%
Fingers
50%

Total votes: 2

lokariototal

Im a beginner, Should I learn to play with a Pick or with the fingers?

Post by lokariototal » March 16th, 2015, 7:24 am

Hello,

What is better, to learn with a pick or with fingers? Why?

Alan Green
Guitari Lama

Re: Im a beginner, Should I learn to play with a Pick or with the fingers?

Post by Alan Green » March 16th, 2015, 10:27 pm

Both.

But... Plectrum skills can be learned quite easily. Finger skills will take you a lifetime.
"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger
"I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk

Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Diceman

Post by Diceman » March 17th, 2015, 4:55 am

There is no right or wrong answer to this age old question . There are some things that will be easier to play with your fingers than with a pick and vice versa . Musical preference also has much to do with the choice . Certain styles of music demand that you play with fingers . There are also certain songs and techniques (pinch harmonics , shredding , and sweep picking) that would be extremely hard to play without a pick . You will find the finger players , who are in the minority , are very vocal about their preference . I think you will also find that many pick players will use their fingers on occasion .
When it comes right down to it , YOU are the one to decide which you like best .

Finally , the best advice I can give you is ... identify your favorite guitar players and use what they use .
If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

lokariototal

Post by lokariototal » March 17th, 2015, 5:49 am

Diceman wrote:There is no right or wrong answer to this age old question . There are some things that will be easier to play with your fingers than with a pick and vice versa . Musical preference also has much to do with the choice . Certain styles of music demand that you play with fingers . There are also certain songs and techniques (pinch harmonics , shredding , and sweep picking) that would be extremely hard to play without a pick . You will find the finger players , who are in the minority , are very vocal about their preference . I think you will also find that many pick players will use their fingers on occasion .
When it comes right down to it , YOU are the one to decide which you like best .

Finally , the best advice I can give you is ... identify your favorite guitar players and use what they use .
but do you think I should "specialize" in one of these styles..? (Fingers or pick)

Diceman

Post by Diceman » March 18th, 2015, 7:11 am

Any opinion I would give you would be based on what music you like to listen to and which guitarists you would like to be able to play like . If your favorite guitarists play with a pick , use a pick . If they play with their fingers , use your fingers . You can also learn both .
If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

Gotdablues

Post by Gotdablues » April 9th, 2015, 8:52 am

Me Play Bass, Me use Fingers :lol:

But seriously, I've played a little finger style guitar also and reaching higher notes is easier (quicker) than string skipping with a pick. IMO

Pat