Learn by playing songs

If you have a post about music or guitar that doesn't really fit anywhere else, put it here. This is strictly on topic, guitar or music related topics only. Please be civil and courteous here. This forum is moderated and respectful conversation is expected.
causnorign

Learn by playing songs

Post by causnorign » January 6th, 2017, 3:08 pm

Ok so I'm somewhere between beginner and intermediate by my own standard. I've been messing around with a guitar for several years. I read on one of these learn guitar the best fastest method sites that the quickest way to improve is by playing songs, and not really bothering with theory or learning the fretboard or anything else. I'd like to know who agrees with that.

dhodge
Musically Insane

Re: Learn by playing songs

Post by dhodge » January 9th, 2017, 6:01 pm

Hi

I mostly agree with this, except that you can't help but learn a bit of theory and where notes are on the fretboard simply by paying attention to what you're doing. For example, if you're playing an Em chord, you can't help but notice that you're only fretting two strings, so figuring out the notes of an Em chord (E, G, and B) doesn't take all that much effort. Then, realizing that you've got to change the G to G# in order to make E major is an easy step from there.

It's very hard to not learn things about music while you're learning guitar...

Peace