Welcome to the forums!

Y10 W34 Andy Wanders Awn Wednesday

The Sunday Songwriters club is a stretching exercise for your mind. Arpeggios for the brain cells, so to speak. After all, writing is like playing - to get better, you have to practice.

Moderator: The GN support team

Postby andygetch » June 26th, 2012, 2:58 am

Since Renee posted that last week was quiet I thought I would share my process/progress both for feedback and (self) entertainment. Ten minutes worth of net research indicated that Wednesday seems to have the least number of songs so I thought I would start with Wednesday.

In National Poetry Writing Month (April) one of the prompts was to write a poem using a limited letter list. The thought I had for this assignment is to start with words primarily made of with letters "w" "e" "d" "n" "s" "a" & "y" and in generating that (page and a half and growing) list that spawned the title. The only added letter in the title is the "r" in wander.

This website is useful to generate word lists:

http://www.morewords.com/

The word list is a bit more liberal adding words that I think of or stumble across with added letters. I am initially focusing on key words with at least three of the letters w, e, d, n, s, a, or y. I hope to use alliteration, assonance and consonance instead of rhymes in the song. Next I have started to group the words by senses (sight, sound, smell, taste, touch, organic, kinesthetic) and want to search through some poetry for more descriptive words.

My power word list is a bit weak with some phrases added, so far it is "hump day", "middle of the work week", "woe", "routine", "waiting", "winds", and "day that gets wished away".

For the music I am working on chord progressions in the key of "E" with a short-cut capo simulating open "A" (capo on second fret on 2nd, 3rd and 4th strings only). No "E" chord in the verse or chorus, I am saving the root "E" chord for the bridge. Probably the chords will be familiar shapes but variations in sound with the capo. Since I am in a type of open "A" my thought is to start with and focus on variations of the "A" chord. Trying different fingerpicking patterns to generate a melody. Thinking about using a different rhythm, maybe something random from Garageband. I want to start with a melody and rhythm that I like first before developing lyric lines.

The goal is to write an upbeat positive song.
andygetch

Postby Hobson » June 26th, 2012, 10:25 am

I have never heard of this approach to writing lyrics. It will be interesting to see how it turns out. You could end up with something that's a tongue twister.
Renee
Hobson

Postby andygetch » June 26th, 2012, 5:57 pm

Renee,
I thought about this approach but had not tried it yet, the furthest I got was making a word list for ABCDEFG. I could probably do a tongue-twister if I wanted, but as a beginning singer I wouldn't want to go there now. Am mainly using the list as a starting point, and not necessarily sticking to to syllable sound. Like the "a" in day doesn't have to be the "ay" sound. Still building the list, not much work today,.
andygetch

Postby andygetch » June 30th, 2012, 6:37 pm

Here is what I came up with. Revising the title to "Wednesday's Andy's day to wander away" Almost every word (except "to" in the refrain) uses three of some combination of the letters that make up the word Wednesday and the root chord "E" is not introduced until the end. Not a tongue-twister, but again a bit stream of consciousness. Slow tempo, still working on the timing.

Refrain
A(G) l A(G) l A(F[VII]) l B/A(F[VII]) l A(F[VII]) l
Wednesday's Andy's day to wander a - way

Verse 1
G#m F#m l G#m F#m l G#m l G#m l
Sleeping way past seven
Whispers awakened a wrecking yawn
G#m F#m l G#m F#m l G#m A(F[VII]) l A(F[VII]) l
Written pages release new dreams
Breakfast wishes weakened midweek restraints
Repeat Refrain

Verse 2
Opened window daylight was ready
Cleared pathway widened yellow flowers
G#m F#m l G#m F#m l G#m A(F[VII]) l A(F[VII]) l
fragrant native plants seeded
Ideas transported Wednesday's renewed
Repeat Refrain

Outro
A l A l A l A l
Wednesday
A[V] l A[V] l A[V] l A[V] l
Escape conditioned environments
A l A l A l A l
Exit contained atmospheres
Eadd11(D/E[IV]) l Eadd11(D/E[IV]) l Eadd11(D/E[IV]) l Eadd11(D/E[IV]) l
Andy's day to wander a - way
Eadd11(D/E[IV]) l Eadd11(D/E[IV]) l
wander a - way (repeat and fade)
andygetch

Postby jamestoffee » July 4th, 2012, 2:24 pm

Hi Andy,

Good start :D I like your willingness to play around with different creative song starters. I'm not sure this one is specific to a Wednesday, but it does fit the assignment and it is a Wednesday I am posting a response...if that counts for anything :lol:

I can't say I really follow the stream of consciousness song lyrics easily, but there's a time and place for everything under the sun.

Thanks for sharing :wink:

James
jamestoffee
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby andygetch » July 4th, 2012, 5:53 pm

I lost interest in this one for now. But, for 50/90 I took the anagram concept exclusively with words from the letters in Wednesday and came up with this:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11746978

Wednesday Yes Andy's Day
by Andy Getch
Key of C
C - x32o1o; Fmaj7 - xx321o; G - 32ooo3; Em - o22ooo; Am - xo221o;

Verse 1
C l Fmaj7 l C l Fmaj7 l
Wednesday Andy yawned Wednesday easy way
C l Fmaj7 l G l C l
Wednesday a new day dawned Wednesday yes Andy's day
Refrain
G l C l G l C l Em l Am l G l C l
Yes we was eased Yes new way deed Yes we saw news Yes aye need yewes

Verse 2
C l Fmaj7 l C l Fmaj7 l
Wednesday new seen Wednesday dandy sway
C l Fmaj7 l G l C l
Wednesday wanes dense ween Wednesday yes Andy's day
Refrain

Verse 3
C l Fmaj7 l C l Fmaj7 l
Wednesday say needs Wednesday sad way nay
C l Fmaj7 l G l C l
Wednesday wee new seeds Wednesday yes Andy's day
Refrain

Bridge
Am l Am l Am l Am l Em l Em l Em l Em l
Andy's Day Dawns
Am l Am l Am l Am l G l G l G l G l
Andy's Day Sees
Am l Am l Am l Am l F l F l F l F l
Andy's Day Send we
Am l Am l Am l Am l C l C l C l C l
Andy's Day New seas

Verse 4
C l Fmaj7 l C l Fmaj7 l
Wednesday and sane Wednesday new day yea
C l Fmaj7 l G l C l
Wednesday ends wane Wednesday yes Andy's day
andygetch

Postby jamestoffee » July 4th, 2012, 8:49 pm

Well I like the idea of taking an idea to see where it leads, but I don't understand the end result on this one. :?

However, the listen gave me a couple ideas I hadn't thought of 1. Wednesday Yes Andy's Day ....could be the idea of a divorced parent and visitation/shared custody of the child and visiting on Wednesdays.....2 there is a book called "Tuesdays with Morrie" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuesdays_with_Morrie so Wednesdays could have significance for a weekly meeting of some sorts......
jamestoffee
Guitarnoise Addict