Welcome to the forums!

Y10 W38 "(Beautiful Day) It's The Best Day Ever Today

The Sunday Songwriters club is a stretching exercise for your mind. Arpeggios for the brain cells, so to speak. After all, writing is like playing - to get better, you have to practice.

Moderator: The GN support team

Postby andygetch » July 24th, 2012, 6:58 pm

Sitting outside in a park the shade of a bridge on lunchbreak with guitar in hand trying to write another song (actually from another fortune cookie, as an experiment I was clustering about eight of them simultaneously (not including this one) to see what would happen , and this one fell out. Based on a friend often talking about how life is so beautiful and that today is the best day ever. The fortune cookie I picked from http://www.fortunecookiemessage.com/archive.php/
was "Put your unhappiness aside, life is beautiful". Week 38 here and by coincidence this is #12 in 50/90 so 38 to go there. May still keep on the fortune cookie theme in 50/90 since I had made some progress on two others. As always, comments are welcome.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11787895

Key of F#(D) (chord shape relative to capo IV guitar and concert ukelele tuned down 1/2 step )

Verse 1
F#(D) l F#(D) l F#(D) l F#(D) l
It's a beautiful day to play now and here today
B(G) l B(G) l F#(D) l F#(D) l
Beautiful flowers and trees leaves laughing in the breeze
C#(A) l B(G) l B(G) l C#(A) l
beautiful day to play it's the best day ever today

Chorus
Beautiful day it's the best day ever today

Verse 2
It's a beautiful high sky clouds go floating by
Beautiful shape of dreams silver sunlight on the seams
beautiful high sky it's the best day ever today

Repeat chorus

Instrumental verse

Verse 3
It's a beautiful rolling flow waves wash in and go
Beautiful shimmering mirror clouds and trees appear
beautiful rolling flow it's the best day ever today

Repeat chorus and fade
andygetch

Postby John Sargent » July 25th, 2012, 5:01 am

I liked the writing, melody and chord progression. Kudos.
John Sargent

Postby Vic Lewis VL » July 27th, 2012, 12:56 pm

Nice imagery, well played....one small criticism, I think the verses and choruses are very similar-sounding. Maybe if you changed the key for the chorus and came back to the original key for the verses it'd sound a little better? As always, just my opinion.

:D :D :D

Vic
"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)
Vic Lewis VL
Albus Dumblechord

Postby andygetch » July 27th, 2012, 4:32 pm

MrEworm,
Thanks for the comments, first time putting a uke on a recording and first time using a straight-up 12 bar blues progression. :note2:

Vic,
Thanks for the suggestion. I agree that the chorus ended up similar to the verse. I try it with a key change and see where that goes, maybe take it to B. Someone on 50/90 had suggested having kids sing "Beautiful Day" and continue over the "It's the best day ever today" lyric throughout the chorus, I may try that as well, if I can convince some kids to sing :lol: .
andygetch

Postby jamestoffee » August 4th, 2012, 7:42 pm

Great start :mrgreen:

I like the trees laughing in the breeze....

Suggestion: Since "beautiful" is more a telling word than describing word, consider saving the adjective "beautiful" only for the word "day" and all the other places you have the word "beautiful" use other adjectives of description.....they could describe senses or emotions....a la "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".....this might also add some contrast between the verses (specific details) and chorus (generic overview/summation)

For example:
SUN-KISSED/TURQUOISE/VELVET/VIRGIN flowers and trees leaves laughing in the breeze

It's a SUN-KISSED/TURQUOISE/VELVET/VIRGIN high sky clouds go floating by

Thanks for sharing :D

BTW had you heard the Sponge Bob version?....just to hear another take on the title
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF1L48CsVZ0
jamestoffee
Guitarnoise Addict