SSG Year 12 Week 50

The Sunday Songwriters club is a stretching exercise for your mind. Arpeggios for the brain cells, so to speak. After all, writing is like playing - to get better, you have to practice.
dhodge
Musically Insane

SSG Year 12 Week 50

Post by dhodge » October 11th, 2014, 11:48 am

Hello to all

As obvious as it may seem, sometimes a single word can make all the difference in the world when it comes to songwriting. I vividly remember one time writing out a chord chart for "Wish You Were Here" and, because I'd been in such a hurry to write it I ended up with "Wish You Were Her," which made me think that this, too, would make a great song title.

So your task this week is to start with a simple common phrase and to see what you might make of it by changing one word. It can be a more drastic change than the example cited ("Wish You Weren't Here" or "Wish You Were There," for instance) or it can even a reordering of words. "The Man of Your Dreams" might turn into "Your Dreams of the Man."

I should note that use can use this idea of an "altered common phrase" anywhere in your song. It doesn't have to be the title or the hook of the chorus. It can simply be used in a single line at some point.

As always, I look forward to reading and to listening to what you come up with.

Peace