Sleutelbos soon to hit the studio

Recording engineering discussions and questions. Also a great place to discuss software, plugins, and computer based recording/arranging.
Chris C
Guitarnoise Addict

Re: Sleutelbos soon to hit the studio

Post by Chris C » August 26th, 2008, 8:50 pm

Hi,

Absolutely fascinating thread. :D Very interesting to hear how it's all going creatively and also from a production angle, and great to be able to read the first hand experiences from Cat too. I'm beginning to see my lack of talent as a positive bonus that is protecting me from having to go through a whole heap of stuff that I might not enjoy. When I retired from regular business I thought I'd put most of that fernangling behind me... :mrgreen:

All the best with it wherever you take it from here.

Cheers,

Chris

Cat
Guitarnoise Denizen

Post by Cat » August 26th, 2008, 9:19 pm

Chris...you seem to be coming on great with one instrument after another! Less sand in the hour glass pretty much effects me the same way! So if yer into tryin' other modalities...why NOT go out and get a GOOD solid body six string...and see what most of the rest of us are on about?????? :?:

Cat
"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

rparker
Musically Insane

Post by rparker » August 27th, 2008, 8:05 am

Ignar Hillstrøm wrote:Finally there's a big chance there will be a 20+ minute long bonustrack but more about that later.
That's certainly interesting. Do tell. :D
Roy

"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Ignar Hillström
Musically Insane

Post by Ignar Hillström » September 1st, 2008, 9:08 am

Chris: heh, I hear what you say. I've decided last year that I'm not going to be stressed-out about anything and it so far it works. 8) I know what i want to do (make the best album I can, that 'expresses' precisely what I want it to express) and that includes only things that are either fun or educational. Apart from the strictly musical part designing the artwork is really a lot of fun, even though I'm a hopeless visual 'artist'. And the production part is very educational, I've already learned quite a few from the different mixes I've got here.

Roy: it's all under heavy construction and everything could happen (include it not being included at all) but so far it's a 32 minute 'soundtrack', containing 'classical' piano pieces with some minor side instrumentation like cello and choir. There's one not-classical part, which is ukelele/bluesharp/vocals. In any case it all sounds very 'organic' and natural, espescially compared with some of the rougher electronic tracks that are in the main part of the album. In between these pieces, and at times during them, there are a variety of soft background samples of every-day life. It's all very relaxed, slow, and just 'harmless'. The piano pieces (most of them already posted GN earlier, since I can't upload such long tracks I've never been able to put it togther like I wanted to) are mostly between smooth and melancholic, in any case without any of the aggression, The idea is that the album itself is a pretty intense listening experience, with very different sounds and athmospheres and at times very direct and brutal about pretty negative topics, and this bonustrack should be like a parachute, slowly bringing the listener down from the last song.

So now I'm facing a new problem, I'm running out of room on the cd. Will have to see how that goes, and if everything together works and fits.
Click here for FREE, limited one-time only offer!

Ignar Hillström
Musically Insane

Post by Ignar Hillström » October 5th, 2008, 5:22 pm

Okay, another update. On the music-front things have grinded down to a halt. Next round will start next week, not a whole lot of news there. I've been thinking a bit about what I'm actually going to do with it once it's done. After looking around I'm now pretty convinced I'm going with CDbaby, as hue suggested. That should cover most things distribution-wise, as it is made availlable to Itunes and Amazon, among others, through them. A promotion company from the US has shown interest in promoting my album in the States but it's at a very early stage, right now I'm not exactly sure what such a company could do for me.

The second part of the distribution is the 'free' bit. From the start one of the plans has been to make the music availlable for people online, free of cost and if possible in a convenient way. For now I've decided on Last.FM as it seems to allow me to offer streaming audio to people plus connect the music with a community that actually actively looks out for new music, unlike such 'communities' as myspace.

Somewhat related to that there's been little side-project going on here. The new album is, for me, really a big transition from the somewhat withdrawn 'practice' period to this new period where I'll have to present my music with my head up and without making excuses for this or that. In light of that I present you the 'The Worst of Sleutelbos' EP:
http://www.last.fm/music/Sleutelbos/The+Worst+Of

It contains a number of songs that were not on any EP and a selection of my older stuff, some really old stuff. These were then remastered and form a little overview of what the past has been like. I'll probably make a post of it later this week at the hear-here forum but for now it's exclusive for whomever cares enough to read until here. 8) Thanks for giving a hoot!

Ignar Hillström
Musically Insane

Post by Ignar Hillström » January 19th, 2009, 7:02 am

For those silent lurkers out there: Most tracks are done, the whole mastering will be finished february the 2nd. It'll be pressed in somewhere late february after which preorders and review copies will be send out. The actual release will be a little bit later, depending on which part of the world you're in. :lol: Anyone interested in a physical copy instead of the digital download is welcome to drop me a PM for a preorder, it'll be pressed in a limited ammount as I dont have the room or money to print thousands of copies. :D I'll write more about that a bit further down the road.