Power Conditioner vs Hum Eliminator

Recording engineering discussions and questions. Also a great place to discuss software, plugins, and computer based recording/arranging.
JoeHempel
Guitarnoise Addict

Power Conditioner vs Hum Eliminator

Post by JoeHempel » November 13th, 2009, 12:33 pm

If I'm getting a hum from my mixer when I've got an XLR, or a 1/4" plugged in (condenser or dynamic)

I get this hum, this is on every circuit with every plug in the house. The manufacturer of the mixer stated that it may be an electrical issue (the power supply is two-prong), and that I should get a power conditioner.

I don't get this hum unless something is plugged into the mixer with phantom power on or off, something just has to be there. I listen through headphones, and I've tried several different headphones and several different cables, even switched out the mixer.

When I took all of this back to the store to test it, there was NO hum at all, and it all worked perfectly.

Now with all this said, a friend of mine who does some DJ'ing for weddings suggested that I get a Hum Eliminator...so my question is, what's the difference?
In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Moonrider
Guitarnoise Denizen

Re: Power Conditioner vs Hum Eliminator

Post by Moonrider » November 15th, 2009, 1:36 pm

JoeHempel wrote:If I'm getting a hum from my mixer when I've got an XLR, or a 1/4" plugged in (condenser or dynamic)

I get this hum, this is on every circuit with every plug in the house. The manufacturer of the mixer stated that it may be an electrical issue (the power supply is two-prong), and that I should get a power conditioner.

I don't get this hum unless something is plugged into the mixer with phantom power on or off, something just has to be there. I listen through headphones, and I've tried several different headphones and several different cables, even switched out the mixer.

When I took all of this back to the store to test it, there was NO hum at all, and it all worked perfectly.

Now with all this said, a friend of mine who does some DJ'ing for weddings suggested that I get a Hum Eliminator...so my question is, what's the difference?
Your outlets are two-prong (ungrounded)? Or is the plug for the power supply two prong?

The symptoms you describe indicate pretty strongly that there's a grounding or phase issue with the wiring in your house that may need to be corrected. A power conditioner or hum eliminator will quiet the hum, but the issues could become a problem for other electronic devices in the house also. Especially during thunderstorms.
Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

notes_norton
Guitarnoise Denizen

Post by notes_norton » November 15th, 2009, 2:03 pm

Many people call an isolation transformer a hum eliminator. With the isolation transformer there is no physical connection between the device and the wall, the electricity is induced from one coil of the transformer to the second coil via magnetism.

Some power conditioners, especially the older ones, do have an isolation transformer built into them, along with some other devices to help suppress surges. The transformer helps boost up dips in the power supply.

I always use a power conditioner with my road gear. It is my strong opinion that it makes the gear last longer by providing cleaner power.

I don't know if it will fix your hum problem though, since there isn't enough information for me to know what your hum problem might be.

Insights and incites by Notes
Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

JoeHempel
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by JoeHempel » November 15th, 2009, 6:34 pm

I had two bad mixers I found out.,

I went with a Zoom R16 after the Alesis debacle, and it's working perfectly now! Everything just sounds so much clearer.

But for what it's worth, the plugs in the house are 3 pronged, but the unit was two-pronged.

kent_eh
Guitarnoise Denizen

Post by kent_eh » November 22nd, 2009, 8:38 pm

Not directly relevant to your specific problem, but everyone who plugs electronics into a wall outlet that they aren't 100% certain about needs to have and use one of these:

(or equivalent for your local power plug type)
I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

JoeHempel
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by JoeHempel » November 25th, 2009, 3:07 am

Cool, I'll have to get one of those.