How do I get connected?

Recording engineering discussions and questions. Also a great place to discuss software, plugins, and computer based recording/arranging.
tzatta

How do I get connected?

Post by tzatta » May 3rd, 2010, 12:59 pm

Hi everyone
I have been looking at some hardware for my electric guitar. Waves igtr and Line 6 stuff. Then I came across some computer software programs like Waves GTR3. Do I still need hardware to use this ( and if I do...which?) or can I just plug my 'geet' into the usb port?

Finally, I read on this site about VST effects (http://www.digitalfishphones.com/main.p ... &subItem=1)

How do I go about using these and what hardware would I need?

dogbite
Musically Insane

Re: How do I get connected?

Post by dogbite » May 3rd, 2010, 6:01 pm

yes. these are just plug ins. you need a recording program or a similar host.
if I understand the post...
I have a recording program, Cubase, installed on my computer. plugged into that is a digital interface.
mine is a Lexicon Lambda. it has a USB end to go into the computer. I can plug my electric guitar
into that. the interface has controls on it for vol, etc. it also has plugs for mics and midi/synth.
that is a basic set up.
there could be other ways. this is mine hope it helps.
on my recording program, I have inserts for effects, etc.
there is where I have amp sim plug ins, or something like the Wave plug in you posted.
I have near field monitors for playback, but any speaker set up can work.

there are other ways to plug and play. my set up is for multi track recording. although it's fun to just use the system to play around with my guitar and sounds.
I think there is a simple way to plug in. however, I don't think those software pkgs work as stand alones.
you may need a 'host'.

tzatta

Post by tzatta » May 3rd, 2010, 9:42 pm

Thanks for your reply
I read your post and googled lexicon. Now I have an idea what other hardware to look for. So if I read it right, its better to plug the guitar into a bit of kit ..then.. plug the bit of kit into the pc, rather than plug the guitar straight into the pc.
Thanks mate.

dogbite
Musically Insane

Post by dogbite » May 4th, 2010, 3:30 am

here is a site loaded with info.
tweakheadz.com