Filing Sharp Fret Ends

Need to know how to setup your guitar? How do you lower your action? How do you get rid of the Milli Vanilli stickers? Look here first.
Robbie

Filing Sharp Fret Ends

Post by Robbie » August 22nd, 2009, 5:52 am

Has anyone got any suggestions or is it really the job of a luthier as many guitar etup sites suggest. Has anyone here done this procedure and were you happy with the results? I have one of those squier 51's that everyone needed to own awhile ago and like the tones I get from it but a few of the fret ends need dressed so it is not as nice to play as I would like. It was not expensive but I still don't want to ruin it with a butcher job if you get my drift. I am relatively good with my hands and do own a dremel. But it appears like Stewmac sells specific files etc. Any suggestions apppreciated
Robbie

gnease
Musically Insane

Re: Filing Sharp Fret Ends

Post by gnease » August 22nd, 2009, 5:07 pm

I've done this for two of my 51s so far - my Taylor T5 went to a luthier (and under warranty).

I bought Stew-Mac's triangular fret dressing file. It has smooth corners that supposedly do not dig into the wood, but I didn't trust it totally, so also taped the fretboard to protect it. I ended up filing the fret ends to sort of soft/rounded triangular shape as viewed looking down onto the f'board. Very comfy.
-=tension & release=-

Robbie

Post by Robbie » August 22nd, 2009, 6:54 pm

Gnease thanx for the reply. Looks like I will try get some proper files before tackling this job. I did see on one site where taping the fretboard was recommended and I am guessing with patience that I can't screw up too badly. As I said the guitar sounds cool but just a tad uncomfortable to play.

katmetal

Post by katmetal » August 22nd, 2009, 6:58 pm

Be careful to just knock the sharp edge off; you don't want to remove too much, as the strings may have a tendency to slip off the fret while playing. That is a real pain, as I own a couple guitars that the frets are too short for my liking.

After you remove too much material, you sure can't put it back! :shock:

Kalle_in_Sweden

Post by Kalle_in_Sweden » August 29th, 2009, 8:19 am

Robbie wrote:Has anyone got any suggestions or is it really the job of a luthier as many guitar setup sites suggest.
Has anyone here done this procedure and were you happy with the results?
I have one of those squier 51's that everyone needed to own awhile ago and like the tones I get from it but a few of the fret ends need dressed so it is not as nice to play as I would like.
Robbie
I have done it on a cheap Stratocaster copy with good result.
Used a flat fine grounded file (for metal work) and run it a few times along the side of the fretboard.
Just enough to grind of the fret ends that was protruding out of the fretboard side.
/Kalle
Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

Robbie

Post by Robbie » August 29th, 2009, 8:30 am

Thanx all I appreciate your input. Will try to find a harmless looking file that won't do more damage than good and give it a try.
Robbie

69Tele

Post by 69Tele » September 10th, 2009, 9:03 am

I bought this. Kind of pricey at $18 but works great and is the right to for the job.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ultimate-Fret-End-F ... 911.c0.m14

Blue Jay
Guitarnoise Denizen

Post by Blue Jay » September 10th, 2009, 4:07 pm

Cool file, and in agreement with all posts above. I use an old ignition point file, or two, but a purpose-built file is always better. :D

And it's good to use gnease's taping method; masking tape I believe it is, wrapped around all areas you don't want to scratch.
Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

TRGuitar
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by TRGuitar » September 15th, 2009, 1:38 am

I've done this with a couple of bargain guitars I have bought and it came out just fine. I masked my neck off to prevent scratching just like Greg said.
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --