Welcome to the forums!

Machine Head Repair

Need to know how to setup your guitar? How do you lower your action? How do you get rid of the Milli Vanilli stickers? Look here first.

Moderator: The GN support team

Postby mousecorns » March 18th, 2012, 6:18 am

I am new to this forum, so please forgive me if this has been covered here before.

I have a steel-string parlour guitar in for some work. It has a slotted headstock, so it has classical-style, plate-mounted machines. Whilst I have been working on it, one of the machine heads has fallen apart. I'll try to explain more fully: The worm drive bearings are mounted on the plate by means of 'tongues' or pins which fit into holes in the plate; on this machine head, the pins have pulled out of their holes. I have put it back together a few times, but it doesn't hold long, once the string is up to tension. Can anyone suggest a way to get it to hold together?

I have tried a spot of cyanoacrylate (superglue), solder, anything to give that bit more grip, but to no avail. I have even tried drilling a little way into the pins with a 1mm bit and hammering in panel pins, to try and spread them in their holes.

The neatest solution would obviously be a complete new set of machines, but this would mean convincing the guitar's owner to spend his money on them - and convincing him that it is not my fault (which I genuinely believe) but either a weakness in the design or the result of earlier damage or wear.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

UPDATE:
I have sorted it with 70/30 solder and a fine blowtorch. Part of the problem with soldering before was that I was using a standard electric soldering iron and, once the worm posts were in place on the plate, the iron was not nearly powerful enough to heat that much metal - and standard electrical solder would probably not have been strong enough anyway. The solder did spread a bit further than I would have liked, and the heat has tarnished the gilding a bit, so it doesn't look that neat, but it has done the job nicely.
mousecorns