Road worn stratocasters finish repair/maintenance

Need to know how to setup your guitar? How do you lower your action? How do you get rid of the Milli Vanilli stickers? Look here first.
jobothemojo

Road worn stratocasters finish repair/maintenance

Post by jobothemojo » January 4th, 2017, 11:06 am

Hi all,

I've come across this Japanese 1984 Stratocaster. The things done a crazy amount of gigs from what I can gather - it's very road worn, and for all that it looks amazing! The problem I've discovered is with the finish on the body. At this point I should mention I'm not an expert when it comes to strats! Anyway, because It's a paisley design, from what I can gather it has a slightly different construction to your regular strat lacquer - the design must be printed onto a plastic or something of the sorts, as from what you can see in the pictures here - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t4dcfkdh5hf7 ... SARsa?dl=0 - the finish on the guitar is cracked on the body, and in a couple of places you can see where this 'plastic' has actually chipped off and leaves what must be white painted wood behind it.
What I'm getting at is this. I love the look of the hairline cracks on the back, etc. It all looks fine, but since I've been using it a couple more pieces have chipped off, and that doesn't look quite as good considering the paisley on the thing. I'm wondering what I can do to maintain the way it looks right now, and prevent any more pieces from chipping off. Also, how I should go about attaching the pieces that have fallen off.
As a side note, if you're feeling generous, anything on the neck would also be helpful!

Thanks very much in advance!
Joe :)