Loud buzz, no sound unless maybe moving the guitar around

Need to know how to setup your guitar? How do you lower your action? How do you get rid of the Milli Vanilli stickers? Look here first.
pkmm96

Loud buzz, no sound unless maybe moving the guitar around

Post by pkmm96 » January 16th, 2017, 12:40 pm

Hey everyone, new here, I own an Epiphone Les Paul Bob Marley special edition (don't ask) with Pegasus Sentient pickups, and I've recently encountered a problem with it out of nowhere, while it was working just fine before I put it away on the side the last time I used it. I connect the guitar to an amp or interface, and there's no output whatsoever, 0, just a loud buzz that gets louder when I touch the guitar (instead of what usually happens with the mains hum). When I strum the strings I hear some extra buzzing and cracking, but that's it.

The guitar outputs normally if I can somehow move it in a very specific position, and hold it extremely still, like something temporarily snaps into place, but the clarity only lasts 1 or 2 seconds cause I can't hold it that still and play. There is also a very tiny, but again brief and very low volume restoration of some output if I hold the cable really tightly up, thus moving the jack up as well. Think cheap earphones at the end of their life cycle, when you have to wiggle the jack to get audio on both.

I've removed the panel from the back of my guitar and unscrewed the output jack, but I'm seeing no wires loose. I tried replicating that movement that seems to temporarily fix the problem, but I don't see how it could cause any mechanical change in the wiring. The only odd thing I noticed is that EP Les Pauls usually have two wires attached to the output jack, whereas mine had one, but again I saw no loose wires that might have been soldered there. Could anyone help me diagnose what's going on with the guitar? Thanks :)