Rosewood crack on the side of a LP cosmetic or needs repair?

Need to know how to setup your guitar? How do you lower your action? How do you get rid of the Milli Vanilli stickers? Look here first.
JUK73

Rosewood crack on the side of a LP cosmetic or needs repair?

Post by JUK73 » May 16th, 2017, 7:37 pm

Hello, I bought this 2017 Les Paul Tribute used scratch and dent for $500 and I gotta say this plays, feels and sounds great. Possibly better than any other guitar I have had. I own a US Strat, a US Jackson and a faded SG. This is my first Les Paul. Only concern I have is there are 2 spots where there are scratching / cracking on the side of the fret board. If it is only cosmetic I'm fine with it but If it is more serious than that and could lead to bigger issues in the future, I would try to repair it or take it in. So my question is just cosmetic or needs attention? If it needs attention should I use super glue, wood glue and rosewood dust or take it in for something else? Any idea what something like this would cost? I have researched rosewood cracks here and elsewhere but all I found were topics on cracks on the fingerboard itself not the sides like this. Neither one seem to have any depth to them. Maybe I should just leave it alone? Like I said this thing plays like a dream as is right now.

First one seems to be more of a scratch than anything else. Between the 4th and fifth fret.

The 2nd one has me more concerned. It's on the opposite side of the neck as the first one and runs from the nut to maybe halfway down the 1st fret. It seems to look bigger or smaller depending on the light or which direction you look at it.

Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Alan Green
Guitari Lama

Re: Rosewood crack on the side of a LP cosmetic or needs repair?

Post by Alan Green » May 16th, 2017, 9:27 pm

To be honest, from the photos it looks like just minor imperfections in the wood. I wouldn't be worrying about it, and for $500 I reckon you got a bargain.
"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger
"I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk

Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

JUK73

Re: Rosewood crack on the side of a LP cosmetic or needs repair?

Post by JUK73 » May 18th, 2017, 10:32 am

Thank you Alan. I was not sure, this is my 1st rosewood fret board also. I will just leave it as is then. Yes $500 is a bargain, these guitars are $900 new here right now and this is only a few months old.