Ok friends, I have another axe for sale... I've gone back on forth on this one over the last year or so...
I have a 2004 Gibson SG Faded Special. Worn brown with MOP dots. This is probably the nicest guitar that I own, but I have a bunch and this doesn't get played. I just never "connected" with the guitar so I usually pick up the Fender before the SG. This is more of an indictment on me than the guitar. It plays great, has low action, sounds wonderful, and feels good in your hands. I just can't work the guitar like I can with the Hamer. It is a personal preference. I know others out there who swear by their Gibsons - I tried to be a Gibson guy, but I think I'm falling into the Fender camp.
In any event... this is a great guitar that is near-mint. It is in better condition than any storeroom floor guitar. I've also done some customizing on the guitar (you guys and gals know me!). Here are the basics:
- Guitar has nickel-covered Les Paul Standard pickups. 498T in the bridge and 490R in the neck.
- Updated truss-rod cover that says "The SG". The original was a cheap black cover with no writing.
- Vintage-style tophat knobs with silver tops that say "volume" and "tone". The originals were just plain black and these give the guitar a much cooler vibe.
- Replaced the tuners with Grover Deluxe vintage tuners. Look EXACTLY like the original Klusons and fit perfectly. No drilling was done - look like they came on the guitar. I found the Kluson's didn't hold all that well and the Grovers were a BIG improvement.
- Ditched the gigbag and bought a Gibson USA SG case made by TKL. Case is in mint condition.
I did all the above in an effort to "get into the guitar" more, but it didn't work. I'm sure a lot of you have been in a similar position - you really WANT to like a guitar, but it just doesn't "do it" for you.
Anyway, I do love the guitar, but since I don't play it I'd rather sell it to someone who will play it and use the cash to fund something that I'll play more.
There are two things I'll point out before we get to a few pictures... the guitar has two scratches about a fingernail long. When I say two scratches I don't mean "it has 50 small scratches and two that you can really see". I mean it has TWO. And the other is that there is a slight rub mark where the guitar's neck would hang on the hook on my wall. Not a dent or anything, just a slight disoloration on either side of the headstock where it rested on the padded hook.
Ok, the axe is near-mint and comes with the Gibson hardcase and the upgrades. Looking for $650 plus shipping from 06415 (Connecticut).
Thanks for looking, and let me know if you have any questions! steve