WTB: "Melody Maker" pickups

Do you have GAS? Do you need to sell your old Strat for a new Les Paul? Post your WTB and NTS requests here, along with your contact information. These posts will be locked after one week, and deleted after one month.
Crow

WTB: "Melody Maker" pickups

Post by Crow » February 14th, 2013, 7:01 am

I know a lot of you have swapped out your old wide single-coil Gibson Melody Maker pickups for something cooler. If those old pups are still around, please PM me.
"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

EzraplaysEzra

Re: WTB: "Melody Maker" pickups

Post by EzraplaysEzra » February 14th, 2013, 10:52 am

Are you looking to purchase them or have some built? - I have all the tech data from a '59& '61 single cut away if you're looking to build. I don't know if the new reissues are the same.

Crow

Post by Crow » February 14th, 2013, 2:36 pm

Wow, the tech data would be awesome to have! I'm not looking to build -- not yet -- but make me an offer.
"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

s1120

Post by s1120 » February 15th, 2013, 7:09 am

Did the MM use a diferent P90 then the other Gibsons of that time?
Paul B

Crow

Post by Crow » February 15th, 2013, 8:26 am

The original Melody Maker pickup was a wide, narrow single coil, wider than a Strat pup. I'm not sure why Gibson bothered, as it already had a fine single-coil in the P-90. The MM version must have been cheaper to make. They also put that pickup on their Kalamazoo line of low-budget solid-bodies.

EzraplaysEzra

Post by EzraplaysEzra » February 15th, 2013, 1:43 pm

I haven't located that data yet - many many note books down there... after '59 they had the "skinny" which was basically a mini PAF bobbin with 43 gauge poly wound to 6.7 - 7.1 with a standard V magnet - so all of the parts were available in the bins and would have cost about half that of a p90. But really I think the idea was not use one of there "good" pickups on a student model as well as the obvious Fender thing with the "skinny".

Crow

Post by Crow » February 15th, 2013, 1:55 pm

EzraplaysEzra wrote:... after '59 they had the "skinny" which was basically a mini PAF bobbin with 43 gauge poly wound to 6.7 - 7.1 with a standard V magnet - so all of the parts were available in the bins and would have cost about half that of a p90. But really I think the idea was not use one of there "good" pickups on a student model as well as the obvious Fender thing with the "skinny".
Yeah.... My 1968 P-90 (on a single-pickup SG Jr.) sounds different from my MMs (on my Kalamazoo). The Zoo is sweeter sounding; that P-90 just BARKS. But the guitars are totally different instruments, so what do I know. And that's why I want some more "skinnies." I want to put them in different guitars to see what they can do. I have a fake Strat, some pickguard material and time on my hands.... :)

EzraplaysEzra

Post by EzraplaysEzra » February 15th, 2013, 3:48 pm

The skinny's are very similar to the early sixties neck pick up to my ear. I have a 60 melody maker (that had always thought was a '59 because my father purchased it in '62 from a guy that said it was 3 years old) and a '61 3/4. I love melody makers. If you're interested I have a guy who repro's the covers - the rest of the parts are very available, I think they come out around $15/per pickup minus wire - you could wind them up yourself if you have a drill, I'd walk you though it. You'd need a drill, a sanding disk ($7) a length of board, some felt and a couple of other dollar store items. A crude winder is easy if you're only making a set. Some decent wood working tools and basic building and electronics skills and a sophisticated winder isn't much harder, because it is addictive.

Crow

Post by Crow » February 15th, 2013, 4:25 pm

If I start building guitar pickups my wife might kill me... so... sure. 8) The MMs seem to be hard to find, so building my own might be my best option. Thanks!

Willabe Storms

Post by Willabe Storms » January 28th, 2014, 4:40 pm

EzraplaysEzra wrote:Are you looking to purchase them or have some built? - I have all the tech data from a '59& '61 single cut away if you're looking to build. I don't know if the new reissues are the same.
Wow... Just what I am looking for... My son builds/designs all kinds of effect pedals and pro-tube amps... He would help me.. Any info on a 1960 MM Single cut would be great...