tuning for this song?

Y'all come on in and sit a spell. All things Slide and alternate tuning. Celtic, country...whatever. Get your fill of DADGAD, open G and whatever tickles your fancy. Strictly on topic please.
wasted_youth

tuning for this song?

Post by wasted_youth » February 26th, 2009, 11:36 pm

Hi, I'm new to this whole forum thing but don't know anyone personally to ask. i don't know if tuning is different in this song. i looked in to muddy waters version for tuning but it sounded off to me.could just be me? I've been playing guitar for about two years and never tried slid so i thought i'd give it a whirl. i've never been to bad at figuring out songs but like i said new to the slide. well any way here is a link any help would be greatly appreciated thank you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZxCPQmb ... re=related

Ricochet
Guitari Lama

Re: tuning for this song?

Post by Ricochet » February 27th, 2009, 5:05 am

Most of Muddy's early slide stuff is in Open G. That guy sounds like he's in Open G to me, but often you find when you try to play along with someone that they're not on the "standard" pitch.

You do understand that with a slide you play more or less straight over the frets, right? Don't mean to insult your intelligence, but I've seen new sliders try to play in the middle of the fret spaces where they're used to fingering the strings.
"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Fretsource

Post by Fretsource » February 27th, 2009, 6:36 am

Sounds like open D to me and the key is D too.

Ricochet
Guitari Lama

Post by Ricochet » February 27th, 2009, 7:10 am

Could well be, I didn't try playing with it.
"A cheerful heart is good medicine."