Eb tuning - locking tremolo system

Y'all come on in and sit a spell. All things Slide and alternate tuning. Celtic, country...whatever. Get your fill of DADGAD, open G and whatever tickles your fancy. Strictly on topic please.
Thundersloth

Eb tuning - locking tremolo system

Post by Thundersloth » August 13th, 2009, 1:41 pm

Hello hello, got another question. I have an older Peavey Predator guitar (not quite a strat type, has tuning pegs on both sides of the headstock) with two single coils and a dual coil at the bridge. It also has a locking tremolo system with locking tuners, and that's where my problem is I believe.

When I tune the guitar, I loosen the tuner locks and then fine tune it by tightening the locks back. I seem to be losing tension in the strings right away. I can get it tuned to standard and keep it that way, but when I try to tune it down a half step I can't get the guitar to stay tuned. I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong, and how to keep these strings tuned. I wish it wasn't a locker because I'm used to playing my acoustic and I can tune that thing up and down with no problem.

Any help is very appreciated, I'll post pictures tomorrow when I can bring my camera in to work.

Blue Jay
Guitarnoise Denizen

Re: Eb tuning - locking tremolo system

Post by Blue Jay » August 13th, 2009, 9:01 pm

I'm not sure that I followed all of your steps, but remove the blocks in the nut and tune to E flat using the headstock tuning machines. Replacing the blocks and screwing them into place will sharpen everything, so have the thumb screws in the bridge at a kind of moderate to low position, so that you can turn them counterclockwise and down-tune again. Except for the fact that it could take about 3 tries, be patient. :roll:

Also, if no success, remove the trem cover at the back, and tighten the claw with the springs on it; perhaps start with half a turn of the screws. Or add a spring if there's only 3? This will prevent your guitar from having it's tail down in that tuning and while playing, etc.
Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Thundersloth

Post by Thundersloth » August 14th, 2009, 8:52 am

I'm getting an Ibanez hollow bodied electric from the 70's that my dad owned, which will be SO much nicer and enjoyable for me to play.

I'm not sure I follow what you're suggesting with the blocks at the nut. I don't see anything, just a normal nut where the strings are held at the neck. I don't know all my terms yet, so please bear with me ( I really need to get those pics up). I've heard so many different ways to tune this guitar that at this point I'm just confused. I tried just using the tuning keys last night and it actually stayed in tune and was still in tune this morning so that's a good sign. Anyway, I'm just trying to understand this system on my guitar. I will come back with pics so you can see exactly what I'm talking about.

*EDIT*
I just looked at pictures of a locking nut, and I definitely don't have one on my guitar. Maybe it's not locking, all I know is that on the back of the headstock, there are locking keys on the bottom of each tuning peg. I do believe it's a floating bridge. I'm so confused now!! :?

Blue Jay
Guitarnoise Denizen

Post by Blue Jay » August 14th, 2009, 10:40 am

Okay, so this is not another Floyd Rose or locking bridge issue. I misunderstood too. There's no locking nut, all right. :wink:

The pictures would help. Yet I wouldn't expect locking tuners on a Peavey unless somebody put on Sperzels or something like that.

And there's still the possibility of a locking bridge, without all the other bells and whistles - for example Fender uses them on some Deluxe Strats.

Once you have secured the strings into locking tuners, whether they are the popular Sperzels, or Grovers or Fender, which would be a little harder to fit on that guitar... you tune using the tuner's head or key (button) as normal , and you've just figured that out- but I think a pic would help, especially if you have 3 per side, and not the 6 in line.

So with this tuner, use the button, not the knob. The knob either securely locks or loosens the strings altogether - it is not a fine tuner.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Thundersloth

Post by Thundersloth » August 15th, 2009, 10:33 am

That's exactly what the tuners look like. Okay, cool, so I'll just tune it with the button. That's what I tried yesterday and it did seem to work. I'm thinking about having my local guitar guy restring it for me, last time I did it myself and I guess there's some fancy trick to stringing 'em at the bridge. That could be part of my tension problem, either improperly wound strings or possibly a bridge adjustment. I think I'll get it soon... hehe

Thanks, I took pictures but the wife is bogarding the camera right now. Try and get them in monday, but I'm thinking I got the info I need.