Welcome to the forums!

A "different" singing problem....

Think you can't sing? Think again. Can you hum or sing the pitches as you tune your guitar? Can you sing along with your car radio? You can? Great! Now we know you can sing. It's good to get that out of the way. Come on in and wail away.

Moderator: The GN support team

Postby geoo » September 21st, 2005, 6:17 pm

Already did. Sounds great actually.
geoo
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby jonetoe » September 21st, 2005, 11:09 pm

I always loved all the beatles voices, george probably my favorite. If I sing I always think of the person who's song it is and think i'm singing like them, but its still my voice. I recorded my self a few times and think my voice is wimpy and to monotone. I should record more it really reveals what needs to be done, but reality sucks
jonetoe

Postby smokindog » September 21st, 2005, 11:36 pm

The band I used to play with back in the 80's used to pay me extra at the gigs not to sing :cry:

Take our word for it, you have a very unique and wonderful voice :D :D You may have a bit of Dylan and Paul Rogers,and Ian Hunter mixed in, BUT Clapton sounds a bit like fredie King somtimes, and Page sounds like some of the guys he listened to when he was a pup :D we all sound a little like our Musical mentors-its a good thing :D --the dog
smokindog
Musically Insane

Postby Vic Lewis VL » September 22nd, 2005, 5:29 am

More than anything, it's not the actual "voice" I use for different songs, but I can actually tell who I've been listening to more by the PHRASING...

I was never a Sinatra fan...he was my mother's hero, but my god, when it comes to phrasing and delivery, I don't think FAS could ever be beaten...

I'm hoping to record a couple (at least!!!) of new songs this weekend, I've been listening to "All Things Must Pass," "Mind Games" and "Live Peace In Toronto" all week, so it'll be interesting to see how they turn out.....

:D :D :D

Vic.

PS - I've recently given up smoking after more than 30 years of roughly about 30 a day....be interesting to see if the voice changes......this week I've gone (mentally) from "I've recently given up" through "I used to smoke" (wistfully at times!) to "I'm a non-smoker".......
"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)
Vic Lewis VL
Albus Dumblechord

Postby geoo » September 22nd, 2005, 5:34 am

Three :D CHEERS :D for quitting. That is great. I am a non smoker too. I started way back when cause they told me if I smoked, my singing voice would be better. It would have that gruff, scratchy sound like GNR and such. It didnt, just got me addicted and made me cough alot more while singing.

Geoo
geoo
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby Chris C » September 22nd, 2005, 6:05 am

Vic Lewis wrote:More than anything, it's not the actual "voice" I use for different songs, but I can actually tell who I've been listening to more by the PHRASING...

I was never a Sinatra fan...he was my mother's hero, but my god, when it comes to phrasing and delivery, I don't think FAS could ever be beaten...

Agreed. Both about your opinion of Frankie, and about copying the phrasing.

The first song I put on SSG everybody here said it reminded them of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah. So I looked and the chords were different, and so was the melody. But I had been practising Hallelujah some months before - so what had I nicked?? It turned out that the first two chords were the same as Hallelujah - except in a different key. Similar to thousands of other songs in fact. The rest was different.

So I played my one verse MP3 to my teacher and asked him to suggest a couple of different chords to start it with. "Hey" he said " that sounds like Hallelujah"!! :roll: There must be zillions of songs using C and Am., and I'd used G and Em yet he immediately made the connection. The only thing I could think that made it sound so familiar was that I'd nicked the phrasing and the "feel" of the song :?

Congratulations on the fags too. If you feel like you're wavering, I've got a bunch of good strategies from when I (and various friends ) quit.

Cheers Chris.
Chris C
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby rocketgirl » September 22nd, 2005, 6:23 am

Vic,

Congrats on quitting smoking! I think it's one of the hardest things a person could ever do!

I had always hated my own voice and in the process tried to sing way too high. I've got quite a low voice so it clashed with my thoughts of what a good female singer would sound like.

I sang out of my range, strained my voice and didn't sound good in the process.

Now that I'm comfortable and happy with my own voice, alot of learning along the way to get to that place, I find that I really like my own voice. Nobody sounds like me and I'm actually quite proud of that. Whether people like it or not is sometimes even unimportant. Only because you can't please everybody and if somebody enjoys listening to me that's great and if they don't that's ok too. Can't like everything right?

Well, I hope this helps. G. :)
rocketgirl

Postby smokindog » September 22nd, 2005, 8:24 am

Ditto on the cigs, I quit after 26 years, its been almost 10 years now :D It didn't change my voice, but I can breath now :wink:
smokindog
Musically Insane

Postby Wes Inman » September 24th, 2005, 10:12 am

Vic

I think when most people sing a cover they tend to sound like the original singer. A lot of this is phrasing.

Everybody sounds a little like someone else. My Dad did not like Dean Martin because he said he copied Bing Crosby. I had never thought about it, but the next time I heard Dean I realized he did sound a lot like Bing.

Mark Knopfler of Dire Straights and Tom Petty both sing a lot like Bob Dylan. The first time I heard Jerry Rafferty sing Stuck in the Middle with You by Steelers Wheel I thought it was Bob Dylan.

Many of the modern Rock singers sound like Eddie Vedder.

Even Marc Bolan sounded a little like Donovan! :D Think about that one.

All I can say is when you sing a cover just try to forget about the original singer and do it your way.
If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis
Wes Inman
Musically Insane

Previous