can i sing?

Think you can't sing? Think again. Can you hum or sing the pitches as you tune your guitar? Can you sing along with your car radio? You can? Great! Now we know you can sing. It's good to get that out of the way. Come on in and wail away.
hinfus

can i sing?

Post by hinfus » December 20th, 2012, 3:12 pm

Hi, I play piano and am learning guitar with the aim of performing at an open mic night in a year or two. Can you listen to my voice (without instrumentation) and tell me if i have a chance of singing without being laughed out of the pub? I mainly want to sing folk/rock/metal songs.

https://soundcloud.com/hinfus/last-breath-ensiferum

Hobson

Re: can i sing?

Post by Hobson » December 21st, 2012, 9:18 am

You chose a song that doesn't have much range, so it's not a good demonstration of what you can do. Can you sing? Well, yes, but you have a few things to work on. You're not always right on pitch. Your voice is a little nasally. The sound should be coming from your mouth. One way to practice that is to pinch your nose closed and sing. Also, this was a short clip and one that doesn't lend itself to much variety, but you could work on some dynamics and expressiveness. I would say that if your goal is to sing in public in a year or two, you can definitely do that.
Renee

Stratmandu

Post by Stratmandu » April 25th, 2013, 12:53 pm

Nice tone to your voice! I sound extremely nasally and have an extremely small mouth, so I am cursed. I am going to try some advice I have read here that seems to be very helpful. Maybe I can get myself to the point of sounding passable. Keep up the good work! :)

Blank731

Post by Blank731 » May 7th, 2013, 9:31 pm

Sounds alright, you stayed in tune. If you keep practicing, you'll start to develop vibrato and a nicer tone. Try practicing songs a little out of your vocal range to expand it, it'll make the notes you're already good at singing sound even better!.