Out and In; Key drifting

Think you can't sing? Think again. Can you hum or sing the pitches as you tune your guitar? Can you sing along with your car radio? You can? Great! Now we know you can sing. It's good to get that out of the way. Come on in and wail away.
BADEAR1

Out and In; Key drifting

Post by BADEAR1 » April 17th, 2013, 3:33 pm

Hello Everybody
I've got to a stage where I'd be confident enough singing and playing my guitar in front of friends or a small audience but I'm scared about a problem I've noticed when I'm singing and playing the guitar at home. For example if I move from a small bedroom to a larger one I seem to have to 're-adjust'/retune my ear/voice to compensate and it shakes my confidence somewhat. I imagine it happening in front of others and I dont know what I'd do if it did. What is 'this' that I'm experiencing? Is it all in my imagination? The guitar 'sounds' different in the room I've moved into and it's not becaue I've accidentally knocked it out of tune or something like that and it's preventing me from taking that first step out in front of an audience. Is this a common problem - and if it is what's the solution? Can anyone help?
(By the way it's an acoustic guitar I'm using (no amplification).BADEAR1

chefie

Re: Out and In; Key drifting

Post by chefie » April 18th, 2013, 5:00 am

From my experience, when you're in a smaller room not only are the acoustics better, but you can hear yourself and it's much easier to keep in tune. Someone else out there might have a better approach on how to deal with it, but practice will certainly help. The more repetition you have the less likely you are to stray when you're in a larger more open setting. Hope that helps.

Neil

BADEAR1

Post by BADEAR1 » May 1st, 2013, 3:21 pm

Yeah you're probably right Neil but it's still scary. Another 'thing' that gives me the jitters is singing in different keys. I find I can sing some songs comfortably in a pariticular key but other songs require me to change Key. It's when I have to make this transition from one Key to another that I have a problem. For instance if I'm singing in the Key of 'C' and I have to sing the next song in 'D,' I end up 'pitching' the new song - not in ther Key of 'D' -- but in the Key of 'C'. It seems I cant drop-down a Key or go up a Key instinctively. I knowI can sing in other Keys but I cant seem to 'switch' into them quickly enough, Is this a common problem

Nick
Administrator

Post by Nick » May 4th, 2013, 3:35 am

Now that's weird. I just listen and sing in the key of the song without ever being aware of the actual key. If the note fits, sing it.
Click below for all my guitarnoise articles and reviews

http://www.guitarnoise.com/author/nicktorres/

My songs (Some not suitable for minors)

http://www.soundclick.com/nfshakespeare