Very old guy who's always loved guitar music

New to guitar or just new to Guitarnoise? Say hello here. Where are you? What are you playing, acoustic, electric or both? How long have you been playing? What styles do you like to play?
On topic posts only please.
68blues

Very old guy who's always loved guitar music

Post by 68blues » February 9th, 2015, 11:12 am

Hi guys, nice to be a part of the guitar forum community.
I have a Gibson Les Paul standard honeyburst and a sigma acoustic.
I am by no means a great guitarist but really enjoy what I can do.
Have a bit of a problem memorising tab, come to think of it got a problem memorising anything nowadays. I like blues and jazz and like the guitar tone of Snowy White and David Gilmour. Glad to be here✌️

notes_norton
Guitarnoise Denizen

Re: Very old guy who's always loved guitar music

Post by notes_norton » February 10th, 2015, 8:18 am

Welcome.

I'm an old guy who has played music for a living all my life, and I have a hard time memorizing anything.

For me it's muscle memory. I play it with the music until I'm proficient with it, and then I start without it to see how far I can get. If I don't take the music away, I'll never memorize it.

Learning all your scales and chords helps a lot, since melodies are usually built on fragments of scales and chords, so your fingers get used to moving that way. That way when you get a new song, your fingers will say to themselves, "Hey, I recognize that run and know how to play it".

The most important advice I have is "Have Fun" - they don't call it PLAYING music for nothing.

Notes
Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Rob Kunkel

Re: Very old guy who's always loved guitar music

Post by Rob Kunkel » May 25th, 2015, 12:01 pm

Hi --

One old guy to another. You're my first post. Be gentle. I just poseted in the Meet and Greet.

I'm very new to electric (or any guitar). I'm a sax player who is tired of working to hard to make music. This first electric, a Peavy, is sort of a gift.

My real passion is to get a modern acoustic like a Cole Clark...like the one I saw in a music store. I'm in my honeymoon stage of learning but I'm learning this way as well as trying to do training. I play along with a wide variety of music on CDs. The same 10 artists, a particular song or two.

Also, without accompaniment, I go as long as I can playing stuff that sounds good. I keep doing it, over and over again, making it prettier each time.