New here

New to guitar or just new to Guitarnoise? Say hello here. Where are you? What are you playing, acoustic, electric or both? How long have you been playing? What styles do you like to play?
On topic posts only please.
Shaolindelt

New here

Post by Shaolindelt » February 17th, 2015, 6:58 pm

Greetings from Kentucky! New to guitars and thought I would join an online community to share my progress, challenges and successes.

I'm in my mid-30s, married, two kids, stable career as a project manager and bought my wife a cello for Christmas because she'd always wanted to learn to play. So, as she's been practicing, decided I would like to join in the music side and decided to pursue guitar.

I picked out a used Squier Strat from a local music shop that is currently being set-up and checked out before I pick it up this weekend, but definitely looking forward to it. I picked electric because with two kids and limited time to practice, I know grabbing some headphones on an amp will allow me to do some late night practice that I might not be able to do with acoustic.

Music background - little. I played band in middle school (clarinet and trumpet) so I do understand some basic music theory, and I can read music ok, but I also played a monophonic instrument, so introduction of chords and such is a bit new.

Music style - Definitely on the easier side of electric, love blues/jazz guitar, but also have gotten a serious kick out of Floyd, some of Joe Satriani, etc. So I'm sure I'll play a bit of everything once I get it going.

Practice - going to try to stick with some videos, books, etc. I learn quite well that way, but I do have some friends that are solid guitarists that I may reach out to as well. Also, going to try Rocksmith on the PS3 because, well, I can. :) I'm figuring the video game route will be for fun practice, but there's a lot I want to get used to on my own.

Other details - I've been teaching martial arts for over 20 years, officiate and play ice hockey, amateur photographer, wine snob, beer snob, liquor snob, marathon runner, and drink lots of coffee. :)

Guitar Noise
Administrator

Re: New here

Post by Guitar Noise » February 17th, 2015, 8:28 pm

Welcome to Guitar Noise! It sounds like you're going to have a very musical family.

There are a lot of serious Floyd fans here. And that definitely includes me. :D
- Paul H.
"They call me the breeze"

Shaolindelt

Re: New here

Post by Shaolindelt » February 18th, 2015, 6:37 am

Actually, Pink Floyd "Pulse" was my first credit card purchase I ever made. I think that flashing light finally went out like 3 or 4 years ago . . .