Introduction from East Coast canada

New to guitar or just new to Guitarnoise? Say hello here. Where are you? What are you playing, acoustic, electric or both? How long have you been playing? What styles do you like to play?
On topic posts only please.
ashepps

Introduction from East Coast canada

Post by ashepps » August 4th, 2015, 3:05 pm

Hi, I am a 66 year old male that loved the sound of the classical guitar. From 16 I always had a guitar, but never was good at it. Along came 1968 and Mason Williams with his Classical Gas and this sent me in a different direction. I started to love classical guitar as well I did learn to play Classical Gas "note for note" from the 1972 Guitar Player magazine that Williams allowed to have his original solo version printed, notes and tabs.

I quit playing after 35 years or so and just got back into playing about a year and a half ago and still trying to trying to bring back my forgotten repertoire.

With not a lot of smarts as a teenager I had no one to ask about guitars so I bought the best handmade guitar that Yamaha had to offer at $850 a lot of money back then. It was 1972 Grand Concert GC-20D with Jacaranda (like Brazilian Rosewood) back and sides, beautiful in-lay and so on with a fantastic sound and a scale length of 662 mm. This was one of my problems in that the guitar was a little large for my 5'5 frame and small hands and I learned from other forms I would have a much easier time with a shorter scale length.

I have just sold this guitar and have not shipped it yet, I am now looking for a good 630 mm scale length so that I can enjoy playing once again. I do have a Yamaha Silent guitar that is a 650 mm that is lot's of fun with it's sound effects, but it is still a bit too long.

I hope to get some advice from the form and as well I have a tune that I hope someone can identify. I recently found a partial tape recording of myself playing a guitar piece, but I forget the name and composer. I have put it on SoundCloud if someone would at least listen. The clip is only 40 seconds long.

https://soundcloud.com/alan-13/422-seconds

Thanks for being part of the forum,

Alan