ALMOST 50.......But still self-teaching!

New to guitar or just new to Guitarnoise? Say hello here. Where are you? What are you playing, acoustic, electric or both? How long have you been playing? What styles do you like to play?
On topic posts only please.
vwbeetle72jellybeen

ALMOST 50.......But still self-teaching!

Post by vwbeetle72jellybeen » March 25th, 2017, 12:44 pm

Hello Guitar Noise!

As my user id says, my first car was, in fact, a 1972 VW Super Beetle, however my first guitar was (still is) a Yamaha acoustic that's seasoning at around 18 years in my hand. With lowered action and Elixir Phosphor Bronze light strings, I've had recording bluegrass friends pick it up, hit some breaks on it and some turnarounds and have said, "Ain't nuttin wrong with this guitar one bit!"

However, I'm still what I consider a beginner, or hack, that has memorized a small number of songs for when friends come over, but want to break out of the top of the fretboard and get into runs, scales, and really blow the socks off of my bluegrass and blues friends with new skills.

Looking forward to reading, learning, and joining the community!

Question: If you had to start all over again with guitar, what would you do differently?

#Enjoying the ride

Alan Green
Guitari Lama

Re: ALMOST 50.......But still self-teaching!

Post by Alan Green » March 26th, 2017, 12:31 am

I'd take it far more seriously in the learning phase, and turn professional much younger.
"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger
"I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk

Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Bish
Guitarnoise Addict

Re: ALMOST 50.......But still self-teaching!

Post by Bish » March 28th, 2017, 9:57 am

Alan Green wrote:I'd take it far more seriously in the learning phase, and turn professional much younger.

Yeppers, have to agree with this.

Also, welcome to the forum!!
Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"