meet and greet (part II)

New to guitar or just new to Guitarnoise? Say hello here. Where are you? What are you playing, acoustic, electric or both? How long have you been playing? What styles do you like to play?
On topic posts only please.
Musenfreund
Guitari Lama

Post by Musenfreund » August 23rd, 2005, 1:50 am

niklasroos wrote:Hi, my name is Niklas and I'm 17 years old.

I bought a guitar a couple of months ago and tried learning from tab from the internet. But the only thing I could learn was the intro to Stairway to Heaven and a couple of riffs and not whole songs. I found Guitar Noise a couple of weeks ago and since then I can't stop playing. Now I even can play whole songs at speed. Today I learned House of the Rising Sun.

8)
Welcome aboard!
Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

OdNt43

Post by OdNt43 » September 15th, 2005, 4:01 am

Hello folks; :D
I am new here, joining a couple of days ago. I found this site while doing a "Jeeves" search for an obscure theory item I was seeking. The site is very good.
I started guitar a bit late, at 21 years of age, but that was 41 years ago.
A friend taught me the 'basic' open chords, and the I-IV-V progressions
for A,C,D,E,F and G. ( He was a country singer and rhythm player).
My instrument at the time was a Kay flat-top with a rather thick neck.
I learned other chords from early Mel Bay books, and learned all of my lead lines from records....wish I'd had a teacher, as I started playing the full F and Bb shapes up the neck using my thumb...still do, but get quite a bit out of them.
Anyway, I was in bar & dance bands 1965-1978, mostly country-bluegrass, but some 50's-60's Top 40 stuff. My first 'real' electric was a used Jazzmaster, played through a Gibson tube amp.
Had many instruments over the years. My remaining units are a 1974 Strat, a 1980 Washburn cutaway semi-acoustic, and a 1977 Gretsch Sho-bro 7-string resophonic.
I am retired and recently separated, I am trying to learn a bunch of the songs I never "got around to" in my band days.."Old Gold" like All Of Me, After You've Gone, Bye Bye Blackbird, etc.
So I'm also boning up on Jazz & Blues chord scales, and even on a few Top 40 licks from the 70's & '80's.
My handle comes from "Old dog, New tricks"
This post is way too long. :oops:
regards:
Mike (about 100 miles NW of Toronto).
"A child of five could understand this...send someone to fetch a child of five !"--Groucho Marx

Musenfreund
Guitari Lama

Post by Musenfreund » September 15th, 2005, 4:46 am

On behalf of all the inmates, I'd like to welcome you to the asylum for the musically insane! Glad you found us.
-- John Lennon

abcxyz

Post by abcxyz » September 30th, 2005, 5:59 am

i am rahul.i am from New delhi , india.I started playing guitar only 6 months ago(i am 18 ).I have not taken any lessons from a teacher rather only through internet.Sometimes i find my progress so slow , and now i feel literally struck on major minor barres :evil: .I need to move ahead :oops:

jason brann

Post by jason brann » October 28th, 2005, 11:16 am

i'm 25 and from columbus, oh, and i've been playing since i was about 12, and got a music minor from tulane. i have an acoustic alvarez, a les paul studio, a nylon string classical, and a cheap but decent tradition electric bass. my amps are a 30 watt marshall combo amp, a 100 watt tube crate head w/4x12 speaker half-stack, and a small rocktron bass amp. i play mostly blues, rock, and folk, but i can play a little classical and jazz (although my reading of standard notation is pretty slow), and can fake a decent guitar funk groove. my bass playing needs work. i also have a pearl export drum set, which is fun, and i'm ok on it. i also have a harmonica or two and a djembe.

Nils
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by Nils » October 28th, 2005, 11:49 am

Have I welcome you to GN yet? If not welcome. Stick around and enjoy the madhouse.

When you get serious about music let us know :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Musenfreund
Guitari Lama

Post by Musenfreund » October 29th, 2005, 4:49 am

Hi Jason,
Welcome to the musical madhouse. Go to the News forum if you get a chance and click on the link in the "I'm the Map thread". Add yourself to the map if you haven't already!
Tim
-- John Lennon

The Dali
Guitarnoise Denizen

Post by The Dali » January 8th, 2006, 9:49 am

Hell everyone... I'm a newbie to Guitarnoise and a relative Newbie to guitar in general. I'm 33 and received my first guitar at age 30 (from my beautiful and patient wife). I set a goal to be able to play guitar "competently" at age 35, but I realize now that probably won't happen. The guitar was always a love of mine as a music listener, but it was TOTALLY foreign to me as an instrument. You know how you can hit a few keys on a piano - even if you have no idea what you are doing - and you can figure out how to play a 4 note sequence over and over and it will sound ok? Not with the guitar! Took me 4 months to be able to play for more than 5 minutes straight with killing my fingers!

Plus, having a job, house, 2 dogs, kids, other interests and hobbies makes it difficult to learn. No question, beiing 13 with nothin to do but play guitar for 3 hours a day can certainly speed up the learning curve!!!

Anyway... I can play some chords, play some notes, play some songs now and I'm trying to get into a 30 minutes a day regiment. BUT... aside from playing my real love has turned out to be working on, fixing, collecting, customizing and building guitars! Who knew?? I spend a good amount of time - time I should be playing and practicing - fooling arounding re-furbishing and customizing guitars and re-selling.

Current gear includes: Gibson SG, Fender Texas Special, Custom Washburn G10V, Schecter C1/SH, Takamine Acoustic. Roland Cube Amp and Behringher Blue Devil.

I love rock and hard rock. Favorite bands include: Rush, Iron Maiden, Guns, Zeppelin, AC/DC, Boston, Aerosmith, Metallica, Dio, Sabbath, Scorpions, The Who, Beatles, Weezer, Killers, Jet, Oasis, Van Halen, Satriani, SRV, Sugar, Matthew Sweet, MegaDeth, Ozzy, tons of stuff from the 80's, and anything hard with a good singer.

Talk to ya soon!
-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"