meet and greet (part II)

New to guitar or just new to Guitarnoise? Say hello here. Where are you? What are you playing, acoustic, electric or both? How long have you been playing? What styles do you like to play?
On topic posts only please.
brian f

Post by brian f » April 8th, 2005, 12:17 pm

I've been hanging around in here for a month or so, so i figure its time to intro on the meet/greet. I've been playing for about a month now and I feel like I'm improving. I'm certainly addicted at this point and try to play/practice about 45 mins per day.

I am learning on an acoustic, late 80's epiphone, solid top, so i guess its a pretty good guitar to learn on. It sat in a closet, in a case for about 5 years, then I pulled it out and took a class at a local Community college. It was all about notes on the e string, notes on the b string, g string, etc. I got bored and put it away for another 5 yrs. Now that I've found GN.com, I am spending time playing/reading/learning everyday and my interest level increasing. I'll probably continue with the guitar I've got for another year or so, and if I'm still plodding along at that point, maybe I'll upgrade.

Working my way through the lessons for beginners, trying to learn some theory along the way, some work on learning to read music (should be more), and listening to more (and more different music). All in all having a blast and this site/forum has been a big part of it.

Will be looking for someone to take lessons from soon. I guess thats the next step. I figure better to spend my money there now, rather than spend on a nicer guitar and not progress much on my own.

Anyway, hello to all. Glad to be here.

300m

Post by 300m » April 9th, 2005, 3:36 am

Hello Jim,
Welcome to the forum and the addiction! I picked mine back up after christmas and have been playing every day since :) . I am learning new things and that helps. I just got an instructor, 3 lessons now, and this helps also along with the beginner books. You get a different approach and the instructor can correct mistakes that a book cannot. Enjoy and welcome!
John M

Kevin Murchison

Post by Kevin Murchison » April 25th, 2005, 12:50 pm

I hail from Canada and currently live in what is generally called by the locals as "God's country", that would be Vancouver Island. Can't complain for a Canadian town that averages less than 2" of snow a year and flowers started to bloom in early March this year.

Any way I've just crossed over the milestone of 40, married since '86 to the same girl that I have known since we were 18. 2 Years ago our 4 children started playing piano, not necessarily by their own choice. The wife insists they learn the piano 1st before getting anything else. So the boys are "getting" electric guitars and the youngest girl wants drums. The oldest girl just sings for the enjoyment. We picked up an old classical guitar for the boys to try out, and it just sat there gathering dust. So wouldn't you know it...no hockey on TV this year :evil: so I found a new hobby! Picked up a beginners book and learned a few things, finally decided that I enjoyed it and that I wasn't tone deaf after all. My grade school music teachers were all wrong after all...I can play something other that the radio!! :shock: About 3 weeks ago I picked up an electric acoustic and play every night I get a chance...missed a couple of nights but that's about it. I'm considering lessons but there is a couple of things holding me back...the money of course (Scottish background :!: ) and work is sending me away for a few months...., but I get to take the guitar!!! By the way...no aspirations other than to improve on what I don't know...
Kevin

Musenfreund
Guitari Lama

Post by Musenfreund » April 25th, 2005, 2:32 pm

Welcome to the musical madhouse! You've found a magnificent obsession and soon your family can go on the road! (Can you talk one of them into playing bass?)

:)
Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

missileman

Post by missileman » April 25th, 2005, 2:52 pm

Welcome and glad to meet you.
Sounds like my family. I have 4 daughters one plays keyboard one plays drums. The other 2 aren't interested.
You will learn a lot right here at this website.
Best of luck.

300m

Post by 300m » April 26th, 2005, 2:40 am

Welcome to the forum and the fun :) . Now you can hear the Partridige Family jokes too. My daughter wants to play guitar and the wife played piano. I just bought her one for our anniversary so we all have somethihng to play. Make the habbit fun. Enjoy!
John M

Panterririst

Post by Panterririst » May 7th, 2005, 8:05 am

Hey!

Wow. Ok. I'm 21, the name is Mike, and I'm from India. I've been playing for 5 years now. I just created my own band, plan to start playing soon... I play heavy metal... Metallica, Pantera... a bit of Maiden.

Screwed up the beginning cuz I learnt all by myself... made many mistakes that I had to rectify later.... but it's all good!

Not having a teacher helped me experiment a lot more... learnt thanks to the Internet... lol, it was crazy putting stuff together cuz I learnt from so many different places.

About this place? It's a change. Most forums are about guitarists out to prove themseves, kicking out newbies, and hell, the advice sucks! I was really glad to see the maturity level here.

Here's to good times, and I answer questions too! (Err.... nevermind, I see absolute VETERANS here...)

Cheers !!

-Mike.
"Pain is pure, isn't it?"

Musenfreund
Guitari Lama

Post by Musenfreund » May 7th, 2005, 10:02 am

Welcome to the asylum!
-- John Lennon

Panterririst

Post by Panterririst » May 8th, 2005, 8:26 am

Just got out of there, lol.

Hey, I'm curious, because one article about Speed Metal in the Heavy Metal section said Metallica played Speed Metal and Iron Maiden wasn't Speed Metal.

Err.... I thought Maiden defined speed metal.

Mods?
"Pain is pure, isn't it?"

Musenfreund
Guitari Lama

Post by Musenfreund » May 9th, 2005, 3:23 am

Panterririst wrote:Just got out of there, lol.

Hey, I'm curious, because one article about Speed Metal in the Heavy Metal section said Metallica played Speed Metal and Iron Maiden wasn't Speed Metal.

Err.... I thought Maiden defined speed metal.

Mods?
Sorry -- I don' t know much about metal subgenres. Maybe post your question down in opinions and polls?
-- John Lennon

azertyuiop201

Post by azertyuiop201 » May 10th, 2005, 12:06 am

Hiya

I'm 21 as well , I started playing back in december on an old classical guitar I got from my brother. I started of by browsing the internet for lessons and that is how I eventually got here .. but it wasn't until recently I decided to check out the forum and man .. I wish I did it way earlier. It's really a nice place to learn and discuss guitar or just read about it and it feels like there's a nice atmosphere/mentality going on... even for us newbies :)

300m

Post by 300m » May 10th, 2005, 2:54 am

Welcome to the forum and the addiction :) I agree with you on the information. Great people here and good information.
Enjoy
John M

Pamparius

Post by Pamparius » May 13th, 2005, 2:35 am

Hey.
I've been a frequent visitor the last month and maybe it's time for introducing myself. I'm 19 years old, lives in the northern part of Norway, (small country in scandinavia), and I just finished my obliged military service. After that I got quite a lot of time on my hands, so I found my old guitar (played a year when I was 10), and started playing again. I soon got addicted and now I play as much as I can.
"Trying is the first step towards failure." Image

300m

Post by 300m » May 13th, 2005, 3:29 am

Welcome to the forum! Enjoy your new habit/addiction :). For me this works well as I have good days and bad, just like life. Overall this is fun and I enjoy playing.
John M

smudga

Hey

Post by smudga » May 17th, 2005, 5:54 am

hey everyone, nice to meet you all... the name's Shane but most people call me Smudga!

My lovely wife bought me a geetar for Xmas and I've been strumming it everyday since - absolutely loving it, to be honest it's taken over my life a bit!!!

Loving this site and have recently discovered the lessons (for beginners)... started with 'Wish you were here' by David - absolutely superb!!! ...haven't just learnt a song that I love but also learnt things which I am now apllying to other song that i know - great way of teaching!!!

Problem is... there just isn't enough time and work always gets in the way!
(¯`·._..-SMUDGA-.._.·´¯)
A few clowns short of a circus!!!