Your first gig - tell us!

Read about the latest happenings of our site! If you have an upcoming gig or jam, post it here.
corbind
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by corbind » September 19th, 2004, 7:55 pm

Here is the vast details of my second gig (first time getting paid to play):

http://guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9750

It's a long read.
"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

xg5a

Post by xg5a » February 18th, 2005, 2:50 pm

Aside from concert band and all of that clasical stuff(performed many times), my first gig on guitar was with a jazz band. Most of the time, I played normal jazz guitar parts, which if any of you are familiar with jazz guitar, are not exactly stand out parts. The only excitement in that part was that the air conditioner above me kept blowing my music off of the stand. However, in the last song, which was a latin number, I did somethng that it quite unusual for a jazz guitar pert. I played a LOUD, DISTORTED lead in Gm. When I kicked on the distortion, I was surprised at how good it sounded(I wasn't even using a tube amp)! It had a santana-like tone to it, which fit nicely. The part of the song just had the drummer playing a loud beat, and the rest of the band (4 saxes, 4 trombones, 4 trumpets, electric bass) played a riff in g over and over. It was really cool, and I nailed it. The rest of the band(the wind players) were really impressed, although looking back on it now, it was very simple. It was a very unique, and great first gig!

corbind
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by corbind » February 18th, 2005, 10:25 pm

xg5a, you made me smile :D ! That's cool to rock out in Jazz. I'll try a Gm now and see how it sounds, uh, with distortion. I'm just trying to picture the faces of the frigid... LOL
"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

xg5a

Post by xg5a » February 19th, 2005, 2:47 pm

The best part was that those jazz musicians never get to hear that sort of guitar playing, so even though it was a simple solo(just a farily standard one in a g blues scale), they though it was great.

mark-taylor

first gig

Post by mark-taylor » March 8th, 2005, 3:05 am

First solo gig was a 20 min. set of Christmas songs as an opener for a community theatre.

I sweated bullets as I played the little drummer boy from Guitar Noise.
I also did what child is this, do you hear what I hear.

But the height of the evening was when my daughter played solo trumpet and sang Winter Wonderland as I strummed the chords. BEAUTIFUL!!!
You can ride a Yamaha, or play a Yamaha, it is up to you.

screamoguy

Post by screamoguy » March 11th, 2005, 7:02 am

my first gig was a school talent show with my original band a sudden silence, which turns out the intinals are A S S, haha. any way, we all had just like beginers stuff and we only played one song. we played Still Waiting by Sum 41. Everyone loved i guess everone was stupid back than cause i listened to the tape and it sucked. But that band broke up so it ok.
Hi, Im mike

"I dont know what world war III will be fought with, but world war IV will be fought with sticks and stones" -Albert Einstien

Rush2112

Post by Rush2112 » April 13th, 2005, 1:10 pm

My first gig wasn't on guitar. Nor was it planned. It was Karaoke in one of my High school classes. I jumped up on the table and sang "Livin La Vida Loca"
:oops: everyone just died. People still talk to me about it
most embarassing moment ever

Nwoodgirl

first gig

Post by Nwoodgirl » April 22nd, 2005, 12:51 am

Hi, my first gig with my guitar is tonight. :shock: :shock: I am looking through the forum for words of last minute wisdom on ways to deal with performance anxiety. My band played tonights venue last year, but I was only singing. Thanks to GN after a year I am playing well enough to contribute with some rhythm guitar. I am reminding myself that for the most part the people in the bar drank and ignored us. No one noticed when we made mistakes. We will be playing classic rock covers, some blues and country tunes. We only plan to play two sets as we have replaced a few in the band and have only played together a handful of times. Wish me luck!

Musenfreund
Guitari Lama

Post by Musenfreund » April 22nd, 2005, 1:52 am

It will be great. I've found that after you get two bars into the first song, suddenly the whole set flies by too fast because you're having so much fun. Just remember, the people you're playing for are having fun, they're on your side, everyone just wants to enjoy the music. They're cheering you on.
Have fun tonight!
Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Nwoodgirl

first gig

Post by Nwoodgirl » April 22nd, 2005, 3:24 am

Thanks! I will keep that in mind.

wdjd

Post by wdjd » May 19th, 2005, 1:39 pm

My first gig was actually a party that my older sister was throwing (at our house). It was actually cooler than it sounds. It was just a bunch of high school kids, but about 30 or 35 showed up and I even got to do a solo solo(solo by my self) which everyone seemed really into. We just played origionals and everyone seemed to be having a lot of fun.
I can't listen to that much Wagner. I start getting the urge to conquer Poland.
Woody Allen

teleplayer324
Guitarnoise Denizen

Post by teleplayer324 » May 19th, 2005, 3:49 pm

My first gig was back in 1976, I grew up in Brooklyn, Ny and the bands first paying gig was for a block party sponsored by the PAL for their boxing club. Bands name was Solstice, here we were, 2 long haired white guitar players, a Puerto Rican drummer, a Black bass player and a Jamaican singer playing for about 500 people and about 75 cops. Being teens we thought it was funny as hell to get high before the gig, not so funny when you see all those blue uniforms. If I remember set consisted of Rock and Roll Hoochie coo, THe Pusher (good choice for that audience huh?) a few stones tunes and I think most of the truth album.
Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

gjbrake

Post by gjbrake » May 20th, 2005, 6:42 am

Hey! It's taken me forever to notice this post, but it's a really good read!!!

My first gig was back in the 6th Form (not sure what that relates to around the world, but in the UK it's one of the things you can do between the ages of 16 and 18 ).

My band at the time was called 'Endever' (pronounced the same as endeavour, but I guess we thought we were cool if we changed the spelling, or something...). We had drums, bass, lead guitar and me on rhythm and vocals. We covered '1000 Trees' by the Stereophonics and 'Dry Kids' by Embrace but otherwise did original stuff.

The actual gig was at 'showcase' event, for want of a better term. It was basically like a Battle of the Bands, but without the battle part!!! Eight bands were playing between 2pm and 8pm and we were on 2nd at 2.45pm.

Thanks to my nerves we did the first song WAY to fast (although afterwards everyone seemed to have loved it, but it was difficult to get all the words out at times), but after that we rocked big time!!!

The only thing that went wrong was that I broke a string on my guitar during one song, and had to carry on singing until the end of the chorus before I could swap to my spare.

So yeah, there it is! Good fun. Since then I've never had a gig where I've remembered every chord, note and lyric so I guess that was beginners luck!

Thanks all for sharing and listening.
G
Listen Louder Than You Play

seanthemon

About to do my first gig!!

Post by seanthemon » June 13th, 2005, 10:07 am

I'm in my first ever band (heavy metal)about to do our first ever gig. We're playing in a pub near where I live so nothing properly serious, though it is to me!
All the members of my band are 14 years old and I know when we get up on stage knowone will take us seriously but I hope when they here our music they will!

Theres no question in that but I thought I might as well tell you anyway!
Thanks for reading

Seanthemon
To live kneeling down is worse than to die standing up.

corbind
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by corbind » June 13th, 2005, 3:28 pm

Be sure to come back here and tell us all the details of your gig, okay? Love to hear the stories! :D