Making A Small Music Room

Read about the latest happenings of our site! If you have an upcoming gig or jam, post it here.
rparker
Musically Insane

Making A Small Music Room

Post by rparker » July 14th, 2010, 6:19 pm

We're doing a bunch of room re-arranging upstairs over the course of this and next week. Times change and so do needs. The home office is now the home office/music room. Well, at least it will be after I get done with it. The desk I am at is staying put, as is my two PCs, GT-10, SCXD Amp, 5-guitar rack and two office chairs. Gone is a bunch of stuff like another desk, a third chair and a futon.

Entering this little lightening rod of a room is the family electric drum set, the behringer P/A-Drum Amp, my son's bass and amp, bongos, cowbells, mic & boom and a keyboard that's been in a closet for years and years.

I've been asking some pesky questions recently about things like interfaces, better software, PCs, peeriphrials, etc, etc. All of this is part of the great use what I have and make a music studio crusade.

The downside? 11'6" X 10'8", with a full size double windown on one wall and full size double door closet on another. I have no idea how this is going to all fit and be comfortable in doing so. Yikes?

So, one question. Is a room this size too small for a 2-3 person jam sesson?
Roy

"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

NoteBoat
Musically Insane

Re: Making A Small Music Room

Post by NoteBoat » July 14th, 2010, 6:49 pm

You've got about 120 sf to work with... at our school, we've had six person jams in a 140 sf room - complete with a full drum set, a PA, a piano, and four amplifiers. It's cozy, but workable - you might just need to move things around a bit.
Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

rparker
Musically Insane

Post by rparker » July 14th, 2010, 7:02 pm

NoteBoat, that's a relief to hear.
Roy

"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Blueline
Guitarnoise Denizen

Post by Blueline » July 14th, 2010, 8:27 pm

You ONLY want to use 2-3 people? Go for the 5 -6 piece band. C'mon. Make some noise! :lol:
Sounds do-able to me Roy. I've played in smaller rooms.

[Edit] - BTW...now you'll get to call it your "Studio"! How cool is that? You could be having a casual conversation with you buds and say something like.."Yep, I spent 3 hours in my studio yesterday." (as you pull your shades down tight) :mrgreen: :lol:
Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

kent_eh
Guitarnoise Denizen

Post by kent_eh » July 14th, 2010, 9:31 pm

Are you kidding? You should be able to get dozens into that much room...

(click for a better view)
I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

Vic Lewis VL
Albus Dumblechord

Post by Vic Lewis VL » July 15th, 2010, 3:35 am

I've had a 3-person jam in a room measuring approx 9' by 9' - and that included an L-shaped desk sticking out into the room. No room for a drum kit, though!

:D :D :D

Vic
"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

tinsmith

Post by tinsmith » July 15th, 2010, 4:36 pm

Ooooowwh.....I'm jealous Roy.....I need one of my seedlings to leave the nest, but permanently.....

TRGuitar
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by TRGuitar » July 15th, 2010, 6:20 pm

The Man Cave is 20 X 20 but has a sloping ceiling and with a sofa, recliner and a pool table space can be at a premium even there. If we were to find a local drummer things could be removed in a hurry though. :wink: I used to live in a mobile home. We had a full band playing in a 12 X 16 room. It was loud. I think you will manage Roy.
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

NoteBoat
Musically Insane

Post by NoteBoat » July 15th, 2010, 7:05 pm

tinsmith wrote:Ooooowwh.....I'm jealous Roy.....I need one of my seedlings to leave the nest, but permanently.....
Had to laugh when I read this - I just got the nest emptied today... for the second time. Maybe this time it will stick!
Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

rparker
Musically Insane

Post by rparker » July 15th, 2010, 7:47 pm

Well, we got most of the junk moved or tossed this evening. I think the big loser will be the long hidden key board, but it can come in and out of the closet at will. We'll see. I'll clean and shampoo tomorrow. Perhaps start placing items in.

Normally rooms sort of arrange themselve. I think that my biggest concern is where to put the guitat racks. I've not been fond of having them near a window. That's the perfect spot for them otherwise. It's double glass, but still, some heat or cold gets in as well as harmfull sun rays. Only in the first hour of the longest days of ther year. The need part of it all is that the elecric drums wil feed into the drum amp which I can then send along to my PC or an interface. I'm pretty sure that the keys can end up in a similar position. Vocals, of course, will be taken care of ten ways to Sunday. this should be fun.
Roy

rparker
Musically Insane

Post by rparker » July 19th, 2010, 1:57 am

Some more update. I've been putting a few hours a day on this. My wife and sone have thrown in too. It's getting there.

The electric drum kit, the amp and the small bass amp are in place. I need to strap up some of the drum lines. Looks really sloppy. I am bummed that I have run out of space already. I need room for the bass and was hoping for the keys being left out in the room. It might still happen. I have to see what they look like in front of the window.

My single guitar rack is in a realy bad spot. I leave my accoustic guitar on there. It's buried deep into another room right now that we used for clearning out 3 rooms.
Blueline wrote:[Edit] - BTW...now you'll get to call it your "Studio"! How cool is that? You could be having a casual conversation with you buds and say something like.."Yep, I spent 3 hours in my studio yesterday." (as you pull your shades down tight)
One of the other rooms, our old guest room, is being called the "Studio" and will contain a sleeper sofa and my wife's monster-sized easel and painting supplies. I guess the office will remain called the "Office" or running a distant second, the "Music Room".
Roy

katmetal

Post by katmetal » July 19th, 2010, 4:09 pm

Normally rooms sort of arrange themselves. I think that my biggest concern is where to put the guitar racks.
I'm using a room that is just about the same dimensions. My only complaint is that acoustic drums are deafening in a room this size. But you have electric drums, so that will be fine. (I don't - need to get a set...) I have most of my guitars/basses on wall mounts, hanging from the headstock.

Each year I keep telling myself that I am going to knock out the back/side walls & at least double the room size...but some other project kinda takes over when I plan for that... :|

Blueline
Guitarnoise Denizen

Post by Blueline » July 19th, 2010, 5:20 pm

Be sure to post some pics when you're done!
Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

JoeHempel
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by JoeHempel » July 19th, 2010, 11:26 pm

My space is rather large, it's the entire upstairs of a cape cod. It's a storage/music/library etc. LOL.

It's got sloping ceilings on both sides though...other than that, it's a great place for my junk.
In Space, no one can hear me sing!

rparker
Musically Insane

Post by rparker » July 21st, 2010, 10:16 pm

Joe, we almost pulled the trigger on an extended cape-cod style years agi. Surely my son would have taken over the upstairs by now. Alas, wrong side of the county for us.

OK, so update for Roy's music room. As I may have mentioned, it's part of a 4 room switch that gives our rising High School Senior a little breathing space as well as a cool room for his peeps to come hang out. I'd much rather have him here than elsewhere getting into you know what. So, we started out with a guest room, an office, a bonus room above the garage and his bedroom. The three rooms are all about 10 1/2 by 11 1/2. It's all required some hefty lifting by him and his friends. :lol: :lol: I don't need to set myself back another 3 months.

At any rate, He is moved into his room about 90%. I've also got about 95% of the family junk out of that room. His old bedroom got painted, carpet cleaned and shampooed and has the TV portion of the old bonus room set up in that.This also includes one of my guitar racks and my Blues Deluxe. So in that tooms is two recliners, TV, lamps, VCR, DVD and a couple of tables. It's almost done. The big closet is filled with stuff from thr guest room for when I get it done.

Now the guest room furniture became my son's new bewdrrom furniture as well as a futon and other desk that was in my office and a recliner that was in the bonus room. We sold his old kiddie bedroom set and used the proceeds for a sleeper-sofa and will soon get a better mattress pad for it. So, the guest room is getting a monster easel, her various benches and painting slots, trays, etc. I did the cleaning, including shampooing, today. The used guest sleep-sofa is plopping down in there tomorrow. Guests in town Friday, so didn't want to make them sleep in a paint fumed room. No biggie. I'll jast have my son move everything towards the center and I'll paint around the walls and trim.

The upstairs looks like a disaster hit us, but in reality, naybe about 60-70% of the way there. Net costs of the whole operation is about $220 so far. We'd probably be done if I could work more than an hour or so at a time without my head and ear making their presence felt. :twisted:

So, as far as the , ahem, music studio is going, it's coming along. I need to move some things back out of it when the Art Studio is ready, and a few little tasks that will give me the possability of leaving my key boards out where they can get used. One of the few TBD issue is where to put my prized middle of the road Breedlove.It might make it's way down to our formal living room.
Roy