Here is a forum for everything between the guitar (here) and the amp (there). If you want to know about cables, effects pedals, multieffects, noisegates, line drivers, phasers, distortion post your questions in here.
Crow

Re: EFFECT CHAINS where to put what...

Post by Crow » March 2nd, 2010, 10:31 am

darkhorse wrote:EL34s,6L6 or 5881s, any preference? What do you think sounds the best?
I am not a technician, acoustician, amp architect or audiophile, nor do I put myself out as such, here or anywhere, at any time. I'm a player, and not a very good one -- a well-trained musician, however, whose ears are not just painted onto the sides of my head. Given that, my preferences are my opinions only.

As far as listening to recorded/broadcast music is concerned, the question is absurd. How can you choose between Cream-era Clapton, Ted Nugent's wall-of-Twins, SRV's menagerie of daisy-chained amps, or Keith Richards' mystic studio/stage selections? They are all equally yummy. This sounds glib & facile, I know -- but it's true: In the hands of an artist, ANY tube will shine.

In terms of personal performing preference, I am fortunate to have spent some time in the amp-repair business & have played through a lot of amplifiers up close & personal at low volume in small rooms. That is not the same as playing through an amp on stage or in the studio. My personal, self-selected amp experience has been limited by finances. I swap tubes when I absolutely must, with what i can get my hands on affordably at the time. That said, I lean to the "American" sound -- the Fender-y sound produced in general by 6V6/6L6 tubes -- more than the "British" sound. Within the Fender bracket I'm most happy in the Champ-Deluxe spectrum. Twins are lovely in the right venue, but you have to have a space in which you can crank them up.

My personal "tone quest" ended when I found my Number One Amp: an early-'50s National tweed 1x12 combo. My Number Two Amp is a '60s National, a Studio 10. Both amps are based on 6V6's. The 1x12 has two channels: one has a Champ-ish vibe, although the architecture is obviously different, and the other has way more gain and a Deluxe-ish vibe. The 1x10 is Champ-y, but not as tight as the non-tweed Champs I have played through. I have thrown a lot of tubes into both & have no distinct preference. Both amps badly need to be re-capped; the 1x12 isn't suitable for stage or studio. They are one-trick ponies, both of them -- but they make beautiful sounds, to my ears.

If we're going to get into specific tube designations, we will logically follow that with specific pickup designations, specific body- and neck-wood/scale-length designations, pot values, cable specs, et cetera ad nauseum. This is fine for those of us who need a lifestyle. Myself, I have a lifestyle. At present, I don't care to adopt a new one based on the infinitesimal nuances of guitar tone. There are folks out there who have adopted that lifestyle, and God bless 'em. But it's not my bag.

OD's/distortion pedals with tubes: This gets into the difference between preamp-tube distortion and power-tube distortion. I haven't worked out the distinctions between the two, and I haven't worked with tube-based overdrives enough to have a preference.
Retubing an amp is like getting a new one especially if you get some quality tubes.
Assuming your caps & resistors are all healthy, you're right.
"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

darkhorse

Post by darkhorse » March 2nd, 2010, 1:15 pm

Last edited by darkhorse on July 1st, 2010, 4:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

darkhorse

/

Post by darkhorse » March 3rd, 2010, 12:37 pm

Last edited by darkhorse on July 1st, 2010, 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

darkhorse

Post by darkhorse » March 4th, 2010, 4:40 pm

Last edited by darkhorse on July 1st, 2010, 4:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

darkhorse

Post by darkhorse » March 7th, 2010, 12:46 pm

Last edited by darkhorse on July 1st, 2010, 4:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

cnev
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by cnev » March 8th, 2010, 1:32 pm

darkhorse hate to highjack your thread but you seem to have a lot of knowledge on tubes/amps and I have a bit of a problem maybe you can give your opinion.

I have a Hot Rod Deluxe amp that I have never been thrilled with the tones I get no matter what pedals etc that I use ( Unfortunately I don't have many )

I noticed one of my power tubes has a blue hue to it but I have read this probably doesn't matter. So i deceided to I want to buy I new set of tubes and looked at a package on tubestore.com.

What I am confused about is if I need to bias the amp or not. According to the tubestore website even though the tubes in their package aren't the same ones that came with the amp they are saying that they do not need to be biased and I was wondering if you think that is true or should I have the amp biased for those tubes?
"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

darkhorse

Post by darkhorse » March 8th, 2010, 4:02 pm

Last edited by darkhorse on July 1st, 2010, 4:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

darkhorse

Post by darkhorse » March 8th, 2010, 4:12 pm

Last edited by darkhorse on July 1st, 2010, 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

slejhamer
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by slejhamer » March 8th, 2010, 7:23 pm

One I'd be interested in hearing about is the EQ pedal. People who use 'em say they're a great tone shaper. I've bought a couple and ended up selling them because I didn't get much use ... but I keep wanting to buy another. :lol: What am I missing? Essential ingredient or just a bit of seasoning for the stew?
"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

darkhorse

Post by darkhorse » March 9th, 2010, 3:18 pm

Last edited by darkhorse on July 1st, 2010, 4:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

darkhorse

Post by darkhorse » March 9th, 2010, 3:27 pm

Last edited by darkhorse on July 1st, 2010, 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

slejhamer
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by slejhamer » March 10th, 2010, 6:46 am

Wow, thanks! That was quite an eye / ear full of info!
"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

darkhorse

Post by darkhorse » March 11th, 2010, 6:54 am

[.
Last edited by darkhorse on July 1st, 2010, 4:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

darkhorse

Post by darkhorse » March 11th, 2010, 7:43 am

Last edited by darkhorse on July 1st, 2010, 4:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

darkhorse

Post by darkhorse » March 11th, 2010, 7:59 am

Last edited by darkhorse on July 1st, 2010, 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.