LED light on pedal always stays on

Here is a forum for everything between the guitar (here) and the amp (there). If you want to know about cables, effects pedals, multieffects, noisegates, line drivers, phasers, distortion post your questions in here.
AlphaSlumber

LED light on pedal always stays on

Post by AlphaSlumber » August 5th, 2010, 6:01 pm

Hello,
I recently bought my first stomp box, a Boss '59 Fender Bassman.

I'm very satisfied with the sound, however, the LED light stays on no matter if the effect is on or off. I have it connected AC adapter--the one indicated on the manual--and I also have it plugged into the factory battery which comes in handy when some steps on AC adapter and unplugs it.

I got this pedal recently, less than a month ago and would really like to know what I can do to get the LED light to indicate whether the effect is on or not, not just if the pedal has access to power. Its really frustrating because I never know if the effect is on or if its bypassed. Is there anything I can do? Or is this something better off discussed with a tech?

Thanks.

Blue Jay
Guitarnoise Denizen

Re: LED light on pedal always stays on

Post by Blue Jay » August 6th, 2010, 4:37 am

Hi. I think that's a tough question to start with. Welcome aboard.

I've seen a few decades of product failures, now known as "fails" but not that one yet? It may be a bad solder somewhere.

If the pedal is used you could consider cleaning the stomp switch with contact cleaner and then lubricate it so it's not dry.

I would check for continuity with a multimeter at the LED while the switch is both off and on and see if the LED is always getting power, therefore doing what it is supposed to do, by being "on". I hope somebody knows something, because to tell the truth, I'm rather stumped by not having seen it, and not getting a hands-on chance to rough it up a little and talk some sense into it? :lol:
Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

venderstrat

Post by venderstrat » July 19th, 2011, 4:37 am

I have a similar pedal with exactly the same problem! :?

dogbite
Musically Insane

Post by dogbite » July 19th, 2011, 8:20 am

pedal basics as I understand it...
if a guitar cord is plugged into a pedal the light typically comes ON. if a power source is attached the light comes ON.
I always step on the switch to turn it off and the light then goes to OFF. leaving a cord plugged in will drain the battery quickly, even if the light is OFF. I always unplug my guitar for my pedal and disconnect all connections between the pedals in my pedal train.
if you have a ON OFF switch on the power supply device you should be able to turn OFF anything connected to it by turning the power device OFF. the battery in the pedal then becomes active, so remove the guitar cord.
if your pedal light remains ON despite the power supply being turned off and there is no cord plugged in and you have stomped the pedal to OFF then there is something not normal going on.
you may have to take it to the repairman.

goodguy2k2k

Post by goodguy2k2k » February 2nd, 2016, 11:53 am

I just bought exact same Bassman FBM-1 pedal and it has the exact same problem.
Red light stays on regardless of whether effect is on or not. I have tried battery and/wall power.

On my similar Fender Deluxe Reverb Boss pedal FDR-1 the light goes off and/or goes yellow when battery is low (but it red when effect is ON - as it should be).

Too bad as I like this pedal alot but can't believe Boss is letting this stuff out the door. Poor QC.
I thought Boss was pretty much foolproof but now????????????? Not so much.

I will think twice about buying Boss product in the future. Bought 1 pedal which is great and the other is not working right so they, in my mind, are a crapshoot as far as getting a good pedal.