FUZZ decision...

Here is a forum for everything between the guitar (here) and the amp (there). If you want to know about cables, effects pedals, multieffects, noisegates, line drivers, phasers, distortion post your questions in here.
jabba217

FUZZ decision...

Post by jabba217 » February 26th, 2013, 12:55 pm

I'm going to purchase a fuzz pedal soon. I've narrowed it down to three choices: Way Huge Swollen Pickle, Barber Trifecta Fuzz, and Tech 21 Boost Fuzz. This is based on Youtube videos. Any suggestions?

petey twofinger

Re: FUZZ decision...

Post by petey twofinger » March 15th, 2013, 7:57 am

i have built a few and i have a few here , my favorite is the fuzz factory with germanium transistors .
i watched some demos for the pedals on your list . it seems to me , at least from the demos that i watched , the tech21 really had more of a classic germanium type tone .

the barber looks really flexible . my least choice would be the pickle but i am guessing this would be a bit different if i actually sat down and played thru them . . it always seems to me a pitfall with these devices is that there may be more than one tone available , but would you ever want to use it ? so i guess flexibility would be a main selling point for me .

there are just too many pedals on the market now ... its insane ! i also think how much your actual rig / guitar is going to effect the final outcome .

i have an original meastro here , i recently a/b'ed it while recording up against the NOS germ fuzz factory i slapped together . no contest , FF all the way . i know this is going to be an unpopular response but i did hear very good things about the boss fuzz pedal . i heard it is very versatile . never tried it though :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZwaAB8icw8

the best thing i could say is try before ya buy !

bondmorkret

Re: FUZZ decision...

Post by bondmorkret » April 4th, 2013, 8:11 am

Definitely try them all before you buy anything, prefereably through your own amp!