My next amp...

Check out the Bass Players forum if you want to talk about playing bass guitar.
MHXANHMA

My next amp...

Post by MHXANHMA » July 27th, 2003, 9:09 am

Hello people!

I own a 30watt laney bass amplifier, but it seems not to be enough. I'm thinking of keeping this amp for practicing and such, and buying a bigger amp. I would appreciate it if you could help me with several questions.
First off, what is an appropriate wattage for organising small gigs and not to be very loud while jamming? 100watts? 200watts?
Secondly, which is better? Combo or head + speakers?
I know most of these are covered already in articles, but i'd like to get more than one opinion here!
Unfortunately the products here in Greece are very expensive (at least twice as expensive as in the UK) because there's this one big corporation that is monopolizing the market, so they can do all they want with the prices...
I'm thinking mainly around ampeg amps, because I know they are considered as the best bass amps around.

I'd like to know your opinion!

Cheers
Johann Sebastian Bass

paul donnelly
Guitarnoise Addict

Re: My next amp...

Post by paul donnelly » July 27th, 2003, 7:34 pm

I kind of like a Head/Cabinet combo, since you can replace either one easily if you like.

DeRoy

Post by DeRoy » July 27th, 2003, 10:14 pm

Paul makes a good point. The other side to the choice is that a combo is a lot easier to transport and usually take up less space (on stage or in your car). I love Ampegs myself and they make a lot of different options for choosing between combos and cabinet/heads. Brand choice is always whatever you, the buyer, like, but I don't think you can go wrong with Ampeg-good, solid amps.
There's an Ampeg combo (sorry, can't remember the model#) that I've seen that is about 100 watts that would probably give you plenty of punch for small gigs. It would also be small enough to move around easily.

MHXANHMA

Post by MHXANHMA » July 28th, 2003, 2:11 pm

I'm also a combo fan myself!

DeRoy, I think you mean the BA115 model. That's the one I'm after. Only problem is that here in greece it costs way too much. You can find it only by the price of 900 euros or so, while in the USA they sell it for like 300 bucks. Three times the price. There's a corporation that has monopolized all the good brands...
Heck, I'll fly myself to the USA if it would get me a good amp, maybe a musicman stingray or sterling as well...
You guys are lucky over there! Being a bassist is extremely tough when you live in Europe, it seems...

Cheers!
Johann Sebastian Bass