Help! I think I broke my bass

Check out the Bass Players forum if you want to talk about playing bass guitar.
Daria

Help! I think I broke my bass

Post by Daria » July 15th, 2003, 3:54 pm

I was putting new strings on and I guess I tightened the G string too much.The part (I don't know what its called so I'll try to explain it) right under the headstock with the grooves the strings fit into snapped and a chunk of it flew off. Can that be fixed? If so can anyone estimate about how much it will cost? I can't afford a new bass so I hope I can fix it. :'(
"Dream as though you will live forever; live as though you will die today." ~James Dean

Laz
Guitarnoise Addict

Re: Help! I think I broke my bass

Post by Laz » July 15th, 2003, 7:10 pm

Hi Daria;

No worries.  The piece you broke is called the "nut", and it is fairly inexpensive to replace ($15-25).  And while you're at it, you could get a set up to see why it broke in the first place.

Go to this lesson to learn the names of all the parts of your bass.  http://www.guitarnoise.com/bass/20010708.php

Good Luck!

-Laz

Daria

Post by Daria » July 16th, 2003, 9:30 am

Laz,
Thanks so much! Now I can stop panicking.
"Dream as though you will live forever; live as though you will die today." ~James Dean

corbind
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by corbind » July 30th, 2003, 4:21 pm

That is rather bizarre.  Think of the amount of pressure you'd have to exert (by way overwinding the string--maybe an octave or two) to split that.  You generally would not wind it up that hard because you'd know the strings is too tight.  Sounds like a freak thing..
"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

paul donnelly
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by paul donnelly » July 30th, 2003, 9:03 pm

Yeah, it must have been weak already.

Daria

Post by Daria » July 31st, 2003, 6:10 pm

[quote author=DaSniper19 link=board=bass;num=1058306052;start=0#5 date=07/31/03 at 14:25:43]LoL I think corbind called you a freak Daria. ;)[/quote]

drats! you figured me out! oh well. i really don't know what caused it to break i was really careful while tunning it. maybe my bass is just cheap.

shauny

Post by shauny » August 5th, 2003, 12:26 pm

damn i just bought my new guitar i hope mine dont fall to bits like this  ??? :'(

Kendale

Post by Kendale » March 18th, 2019, 12:07 am

Laz wrote:
July 15th, 2003, 7:10 pm
Hi Daria;

No worries.  The piece you broke is called the "nut", and it is fairly inexpensive to replace ($15-25).  And while you're at it, you could get a set up to see why it broke in the first place.

Go to this lesson to learn the names of all the parts of your bass.  http://www.guitarnoise.com/bass/20010708.php

Good Luck!

-Laz
this guitarnoise.com website is very helpful :)