Bass with emotion

Check out the Bass Players forum if you want to talk about playing bass guitar.
Daria

Bass with emotion

Post by Daria » December 11th, 2003, 9:52 am

My friend (who used to play bass) and I were having a disussion about the bass guitar when he claimed that emotions cannot be expressed through a bass. And that basses are only good for back-up "noise".  
 What do you all think, can a bass express emotion? I think it really depends on the person playing.
"Dream as though you will live forever; live as though you will die today." ~James Dean

dhodge
Musically Insane

Re: Bass with emotion

Post by dhodge » December 11th, 2003, 10:39 am

[quote author=Daria link=board=bass;num=1071157960;start=0#0 date=12/11/03 at 09:52:40]What do you all think, can a bass express emotion? I think it really depends on the person playing.[/quote]

You actually hit the nail right on the head. Bass players express emotion. It's the same with any instrument. For example, while the piano (like the guitar or, better yet, the violin) is supposed to be a very emotionally expressive instrument, I've heard pianists (and guitarists, violinists, etc.) that play without emotion.

It does all depend on the person as well as the person's ability to channel that emotion through his or her instrument of choice.

Peace

Preston

Post by Preston » December 11th, 2003, 11:20 am

Hello again Daria,
I don't often post here in the Bass Forum, but I think I understand your question.
I picked up my first bass over 20 years ago, shortly after learning (?) guitar.
The Bass is the glue that pulls it all together. It's like peanut-butter on the roof of your mouth. It's like mud in a wine bottle.
Your 'friend' is full of it! "Noise" is a VERY bad anology.
The Bass and drums comprise the VERY BASICS of a songs FEEL. GROOVE. FUNK. TEXTURE. Whatever you want to call it.
BUT, they do need to fit with the 3rd Element... the rhythm guitar.

As a bassist, I'm sure that you have heard all about fingering INTO the string and not pulling it OUT. That's great info for new bass players as it keeps the tone clean, but if you're looking to broaden the Texture, don't be afraid to use your thumb on a down on the E. Your P'up (or other anchor-point) won't go anywhere.
Try this.... play an open A as usual. Now, strike it with just your index finger-nail. Now, pull it AWAY from the body of the bass. Now, slap it DOWN with your thumb. Hear the diff in tonality?
You can make Thunder!
"Don't try to describe a KISS concert if you've never seen it." Jimmy Buffett

Daria

Post by Daria » December 11th, 2003, 8:40 pm

What really gets me is that my friend (maybe I should add that he is my boyfriend so he won't get bashed too badly) is a huge fan of Flea! Perhaps he only likes him as an entertainer?  Maybe this is just another example of how overlooked bass guitars are. I'll set him straight ;).
"Dream as though you will live forever; live as though you will die today." ~James Dean

Daria

Post by Daria » December 12th, 2003, 11:04 am

Haha :) I wouldn't do that to him. Besides, Sam won't return my phone calls. :'(

paul donnelly
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by paul donnelly » December 12th, 2003, 5:02 pm

Hah!  Ridiculous!  I hope you can set him straight.

Edit:  You could play him a recording of Jaco's Portrait of Tracy.  Even better, you could learn to play it yourself.  There's an excellent tab at http://www.powertabs.net.

Daria

Post by Daria » December 12th, 2003, 8:17 pm

[quote author=Tucker link=board=bass;num=1071157960;start=0#7 date=12/12/03 at 12:24:40]Nor mine.

it's a GUY?!  :-X[/quote]

Sam Rivers?

Paul, I couldn't get the tab to download but I will try to find the song. Thanks!

paul donnelly
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by paul donnelly » December 12th, 2003, 10:46 pm

Hm. I wonder what was wrong with it.  Good luck finding a copy.

Petrix

Post by Petrix » December 14th, 2003, 6:54 am

All MUSICIANS show emotion through playing. However, you can play any instrument without being a musician, so yes, some bass players dont show emotion. If you get what I mean?
"I had these dreams that I would learn to play guitar, maybe cross the country, become a rock star"

paul donnelly
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by paul donnelly » December 14th, 2003, 1:14 pm

I know what you mean.

paul donnelly
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by paul donnelly » December 14th, 2003, 5:34 pm

The bass is really the biggest carrier of emotion in the band.  The bass is the part of the music that you literally feel, and with an apathetic bassist, the whole song gets hollow.