Bass amp wattage: how much power is enough?

Check out the Bass Players forum if you want to talk about playing bass guitar.
vandexa1

Bass amp wattage: how much power is enough?

Post by vandexa1 » October 7th, 2016, 12:09 am

Our bass player is being overpowered by the rest of the band. So she's in the market for a new amp. The question is: what should she get? I get mixed opinions: some say 100 watt is more than enough while others recommend 200 watts...

So what is enough for rehearsals with a full band - i.e. drummer and 2 guitarists - and small gigs (at small clubs)?

Kalle_in_Sweden

Re: Bass amp wattage: how much power is enough?

Post by Kalle_in_Sweden » December 15th, 2016, 10:02 am

Hi
If the bassplayer is using a Tube amp, 100W might be OK to compete with drums and electric guitar
amps. Comment, it is normally the drummer that sets the sound level of a band.
If the bass player is going for a modern small Class D amp head/combo, 200-300 W would be minimum.
There are lots of compact/light 200-300 W(1x12" or 1x15") Class D combos on the market now.
I found a second hand TC electronic BG250-115 original (15.8 kg / 34.8 pounds) for a good price (< 200 USD), but there several others similar combos available, Fender Rumble 200 is just one of them..
/Kalle
Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

Diceman

Post by Diceman » December 27th, 2016, 12:35 pm

Before you buy another amp , look on the back of her present amp . If there is an external speaker outlet you may be able to get an extension cabinet that can nearly double the power output of the existing amp . If there isn't one there then you will need to upgrade the amp . Speakers tend to be cheaper than amps . 200 watts should be enough for anything short of a metal band .

waylon

Post by waylon » January 26th, 2017, 7:58 am

I don't know why, but some lower wattage amps can be louder than amps with more power. These are loud
https://musicsquare.co.uk/153832_Ampeg- ... r-amp.html
http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Ba ... bo-Amp/FKL

LessPaul

Post by LessPaul » February 3rd, 2017, 10:22 pm

I agree with what's been said so far.

There's a few factors to consider. Mainly, how much more volume do you want? and Is she happy with her current tone?

there's extended cabs. I personally upgraded my cones and got low impedance cones. They sound killer and i get way more volume. Also you can take a thin piece of wood and enclose the back of the cab. (turns the cab into a speaker kind of).

Just more food for thought. :)