Can't tune G string.

Check out the Bass Players forum if you want to talk about playing bass guitar.
Timoo918

Can't tune G string.

Post by Timoo918 » February 2nd, 2017, 9:12 am

Hello!

I'm looking for some serious help to repair my bass guitar.
I can't seem to tune the G string any higher.
The tone will get higher at first but then a loud snap is heard and it goes back to what it was.
My G is extremely out of tune which makes it impossible to play at the moment.

Any suggestions are appreciated, but please go easy on me with the guitar language :p

Alan Green
Guitari Lama

Re: Can't tune G string.

Post by Alan Green » February 2nd, 2017, 9:38 am

Sounds like you've lost a cog tooth on the machine head. Easy to replace if you're confident.
"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger
"I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk

Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

LessPaul

Post by LessPaul » February 3rd, 2017, 10:11 pm

I love how concise Alan is. I would have written 3 pages on all the possibilities. Yeah, it's most likely what he said tho. Watch the tuning machine as you tighten it (wear eye pro). see if the machine just lets loose when you hear the crack.

What machines are they?

If they're cheaper, and I liked the instrument, i'd consider upgrading the whole set of machines. Just my 2 cents.

Timoo918

Post by Timoo918 » February 4th, 2017, 8:07 am

LessPaul wrote:I love how concise Alan is. I would have written 3 pages on all the possibilities. Yeah, it's most likely what he said tho. Watch the tuning machine as you tighten it (wear eye pro). see if the machine just lets loose when you hear the crack.

What machines are they?

If they're cheaper, and I liked the instrument, i'd consider upgrading the whole set of machines. Just my 2 cents.
I've only been playing for about a year so still using a relatively cheap one. Right now that is the Washburn XB-400, not sure what machines. Like I said still kind of new to all this.

Timoo918

Post by Timoo918 » February 4th, 2017, 8:08 am

I guess I'll contact a guitar store in my area, not too confident about repairing it myself haha. Thanks! :)

LessPaul

Post by LessPaul » February 6th, 2017, 5:06 pm

Yeah, if it were me personally I'd buy a set of medium range tuning machines and swap the set.

For you, I'd probably try buying an individual machine somewhere. Back in the day, you couldn't do that but it's 2017 right? Just make a good effort to buy exactly what you have... even if it means reaching out to washburn.

waylon

Post by waylon » March 4th, 2017, 9:13 am