tab software

Discussion about guitar playing from a diverse group of people with different tastes and levels of experience.
Daniel Lioneye

tab software

Post by Daniel Lioneye » August 20th, 2006, 7:32 pm

I found this tab software called Power Tab via http://www.ultimate-guitar.com

Its a free download, and you can get it from download.com. From their little site they have links where you can get tabs from other sites (ultimate-guitar is my fav).

the program lets you make your own tabs and also in standard notation.

what i think is the coolest feature of it is that it will will play an MIDI version of the song with an optional metronome(and some have bass tracks as well), which makes it a good practice tool as well.

i could describe it more but its easier just to test it for yourself and delete if you don't like it.

heres the download link

http://www.power-tab.net/guitar.php

rparker
Musically Insane

Post by rparker » August 20th, 2006, 7:49 pm

I've got that one, and Guitar Pro. GP is more robust, but comes with a price tag. Both are pretty neat.
Roy

"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

GM

Post by GM » August 21st, 2006, 3:09 am

I just bought Guitar Pro about two weeks a go and I can't believe how much it has helped my playing (both by features, tabs available, and just enthusiasm). I love that you can play along, isolate an instrument (either to hear the guitar well or to silence the guitar and play with the backing music) and that you can slow it down until you get the changes down then speed it up.

I think someone else had mentioned earlier that if you play cover songs, it's worth it. I agree and recommend this type of software. GuitarPro is now available for the Mac which is why I finally got it.

abcxyz
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by abcxyz » August 21st, 2006, 4:09 am

Powertab is quite an old free guitartab software out there.Its amazingly versatile and has a plethora of features.

Thanks for the link.

Sin City Sid

Post by Sin City Sid » August 21st, 2006, 3:01 pm

Another guitar pro user. Well worth every penny.

Nick
Administrator

Post by Nick » August 21st, 2006, 4:06 pm

don't tell the internet police, but once upon a time it came with every t@b on the GP site.
Click below for all my guitarnoise articles and reviews

http://www.guitarnoise.com/author/nicktorres/

My songs (Some not suitable for minors)

http://www.soundclick.com/nfshakespeare

Sin City Sid

Post by Sin City Sid » August 22nd, 2006, 12:33 pm

Nick wrote:don't tell the internet police, but once upon a time it came with every t@b on the GP site.
Did they finally take down the files? I just upgraded to 5.1 and didn't even bother to look if they were still up.

lunchmeat

Post by lunchmeat » August 22nd, 2006, 1:39 pm

Guitar Pro 5 doesn't seem to be worth upgrading to. It's got a lot of handy features, and the editing is a lot better, but the RSE is pretty annoying, and even if you decide not to use it, they've changed the general midi settings. Side by side (and I've tried it), I think GP4 sounds better than GP5.

The editing is much smoother, though, and there is a slew of new options. I have heard, however, that printing leaves a lot to be desired. I haven't tried it, so I don'tknow for sure.

Guitar pro is great, though. Excellent for practice, and even better for composing. It can be limiting (midis usually are) but it's still a nice tool.

You might also try Tabledit, that's the first one I tried and I liked it a lot.
-lunchmeat

greybeard
Guitari Lama

Post by greybeard » August 23rd, 2006, 9:08 am

lunchmeat wrote:Guitar Pro 5 doesn't seem to be worth upgrading to. It's got a lot of handy features, and the editing is a lot better, but the RSE is pretty annoying, and even if you decide not to use it, they've changed the general midi settings. Side by side (and I've tried it), I think GP4 sounds better than GP5.
I've got GP5 and would not agree with you in any way. The RSE sounds far better than the GP4 MIDIs.
lunchmeat wrote:I have heard, however, that printing leaves a lot to be desired.
It's nonsense. The printout is as it appears on the screen. I've also heard that GP5 will only print out tab or standard notation, but not both - that's rubbish, as well. The printout is, as I say, just like you see on the screen.
I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Misanthrope
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by Misanthrope » August 23rd, 2006, 1:35 pm

I find MIDI tab almost unbearable now that I've used the RSE :wink:

Nick
Administrator

Post by Nick » August 23rd, 2006, 5:45 pm

I'm in the middle of upgrading computers so I don't have it installed at the moment. Can somebody do a side by side comparison of the sounds from 4 to 5?
Click below for all my guitarnoise articles and reviews

http://www.guitarnoise.com/author/nicktorres/

My songs (Some not suitable for minors)

http://www.soundclick.com/nfshakespeare

lunchmeat

Post by lunchmeat » August 24th, 2006, 10:01 am

I'll confess, I've only heard the RSE electric guitars. Individual notes sound good, but chords don't really work so well. Not to my ears, anyway. I thought the drums sounded horrible, and the bass left a lot to be desired.

It's better than midi in many ways, yet it still leaves a lot to be desired, for me. Don't get me wrong - I applaud the folks at Agoras for trying a new idea and making a better product. I just wasn't entirely impressed.

Now that I think about it, though, perhaps it was because I was importing gp4 files into guitar pro 5? I wrote some songs that sounded great in 4 and sounded horrible in 5, RSE or midi. *shrug* Each to his own, I guess. Luckily, the midis are just a tool - hopefully, I'll be able to record some of the stuff I've written, and then I won't have to worry at all! :D
-lunchmeat

kent_eh
Guitarnoise Denizen

Post by kent_eh » August 24th, 2006, 11:38 am

greybeard wrote:
lunchmeat wrote:I have heard, however, that printing leaves a lot to be desired.
It's nonsense. The printout is as it appears on the screen. I've also heard that GP5 will only print out tab or standard notation, but not both - that's rubbish, as well. The printout is, as I say, just like you see on the screen.
Here's a sample of GP5's "printout" capability, in this case converted to a PDF, but you can print it for yourself to see what it looks like on paper.
That particular piece was imported from a MIDI file found on the internet (as part of another thread, here), and converted to what you see automagically by GP5.
I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

blutic1

Post by blutic1 » August 30th, 2006, 11:22 am

A friend of mine has a mac with some programs on like Garage Band and Logic LE (I think) and there are others out there like Acid Express and Sonar, and even Guitar Tracks which allow you to take loops and cut and paste them and change key and tempo. He showed me that you can take a file like powertab and export it as a midi file and then import it into one of the above programs. Then you use a plug in effect and make it sould real.